problem with the unit: while using the speedlight on an assignment I

started noticing and increasing problem with underexposure until it

completely stopped firing. The unit does switch on and the ready

light also lights up however no matter what means I used to trigger

the speedlight, that is, manually or mounted on camera or even as a

slave/remote flash unit it does not fire at all though the ready

light blinks every time the unit is triggered. I have used the same

SB800 on different Nikon digital cameras (D100 and D70s) but it does

not make any difference, the problem persists.

A few months ago I sent in for repairs the first speedlight to the

local Nikon Agent (I live in South Africa). Though I was told it was

a faulty computer board that needed be replaced, $140 later did not

solve the problem at all and after re-sending it for the fourth time

(!) I am still awaiting an answer. Just a few days ago my second

speedlight started behaving in exactly the same way. I find this

very odd!!

Does anybody have an idea on what could be the cause of the

malfunctioning?

Thank you in advance for your help

Alex

As noted above, the type of batteries may be the cause. Also, what 'room' temperatures are you using the SB-800 in? Once you hit 40 or so flashes in a few minutes, the unit is 'supposed' to get a chance to cool down.

You may want to send e-mail to

www.nikon.com

in Japan and see if they offer a solution.

It sure sounds like the flashtube output was getting weaker with time (and now won't flash at all). If so, fixing the electronics won't help. It would be like changing out a light switch, when the light BULB is bad.

Not sure if that's the case here, but it seems reasonable. (?)

Can you elaborate? Does the flash "fire" if you press the modeling button? Either way, it looks like repair is needed. Sorry to say.

Hi Ellis,Gerald and Michael

thank you for your feed-back and advise, much appreciated, and compliments of the season to you all.

I normally use rechargeable NiMH AA GP 2300 batteries and sometime Energizer AA to power the flash but as I said for over a year I didn't have any problems. When on assignment if I needed to use the flash extensively I would swop the one SB800 as soon as I noticed the batteries getting weaker with the other one loaded with fresh batteries. In that way both the units got a chance to cool down.

Depending on the season I use the speedlights in room temperatures that can vary from an average of 15-20 Celsius (Winter) to 25-30 Celsius (Summer).

The flash now does not fire at all, no matter what, not even using the modeling button. The flashtube output got weaker within a few minutes before the unit packed up, infact I thought the batteries were weak but as I replaced them with fresh ones the SB 800 still wouldn't fire. What I noticed though is the buzzing sound of the capacitor was very faint and short.

I tried changing settings, using it with other cameras but to no avail.

I will take it up with Nikon Japan but I would be very grateful if anybody as any suggestion or knows what the problem is, could be.

Many thanks

Alessandro

• 4 weeks later...
The same thing just happened to me today. I was at a briday show, and I was taking a lot of pictures. The flash unit worked fine throughout the lot of pictures I took. I took it off once there was a brief intermission, then I went to use it, and nothing. The exact same problem that happened to you happened to me. No matter what settings I put it in or what camera I used, nothing seemed to work. I'll admit the flash did seem a bit warm when I took it off, but it was at about 75ᄚ F, so I thought little of it. If anyone knows how I can fix this, please let me know! Thank you

• 1 year later...

Same problem with us, we have had the SB-800 for around 2 years using the 1.2v 2000mAh AA rechargeables from Radio Shack. No problems until this past weekend at a wedding when it just stopped, all the same symptoms and i tried all the same tricks. This is actually the only place ive found anyone with the same problem. wish i had answers to give.

Andy

• 6 months later...

I haven't checked this post in a while but I see more people are experiencing the same problem. Well, let me update you on the SB800 saga. I eventually have had both my SB800s fixed through the local Nikon agent. The first one took nearly a year to get sorted and after being sent back and forth at least eight times and having virtually everything replaced except for the serial number it is now in working order. My second SB800 followed suit, also took no less than ten months and went back and forth at least five times before it was sent back in working condition, so to say as it is not working that well (the IR focusing doesn't work)and it often misfires... but I will not send it in again as it is an endless frustration!

I just hope Nikon solves the problem because this malfunction is definitively a "serial" bug.

Bottom line the SB600 is a much better and safe bet...

Regards

Alex

• 10 months later...
Did anyone ever solve this problem, it just happened to me this weekend while shooting a wedding. Has Nikon figured it out in the passed year? I have been using the sb800's for years, and I would hate to give them up, but I don't want to go through this again, or lose my flash to repairs for months? I have been warned that the cause could be overheating from rechargeables...is this true?

• 2 months later...
It's not just the SB800...I own three SB600s. The first time it happened was at an event where I needed to shoot many awards presentations. Used my backup 600 - but a few months later that one just seemed to lock up occasionally and not fire every time. I kept thinking it was MY rechargeable batteries..so, I bought new ones...then got another sb600 and am still having the same problem! Has anyone received ANY answers from Nikon about this frustrating problem!

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<p>I had the same experience as all of you at a wedding reception this weekend. My SB800 stop firing 45 minutes or so into the stills. I changed batteries from lithium to new normal ones, and then it worked for about 1 hour, and then I noticed it was intermittently not firing again. (It continued to fire every 3-4 pictures). Changed batteries once more....but it made no difference. Noticed the battery chamber was hot when changing batteries. Was making sure the whole time not to fire too fast, but that didn't make a difference. Any ideas, or do we all ask Nikon for a refund?<br>

JCD</p>

• 3 years later...

<p>I had the exact same problem. During a Sweet Sixteen party a Month ago. My SB800 suddenly stopped firing, and since I'd sent my second sb800 unit into the shop for the same problem, I had to get down and dirty with my creativity as I had to shoot the entire wedding with the camera's on board flash. Like the other posts both my sb800 units went into intermittent firing. It would only fire every 3-4 pictures. Together, I have sent these units in for repair 3 times for the same problem. I use a D800 and a D200. I've been using Duracell batteries in my sb800 flash uints along with a Quantum Tubo Battery Pack unit for 4 years without any problems. At this point I am confused, frustrated and loosing money to repair cost I feel I am no longer responsible for.</p>

WRF

Nikon introduced the SB-900 along with the D700 in July 2008, and they discontinued the SB-800 shortly after. Any SB-

800 is over 6 years old. If you also have been pushing them with Quantum batteries for years, I am afraid that it is time to

replace them with something newer.