roger_michaelson

Hi there,

Has anyone here had any experiences with the Contax Auto Bellows for the 645? I

am looking for one just to see if its worth getting. I heard there is a shop in

London that is selling it but I havent been there to actually check it out. Any

first hand comments on working with this equipment? Can you hand hold it? or is

it always better off with a tripod?

Thank you,

I have one and it's great (nothing else like it). If you can find one, get it. They are rare and have being selling for very high prices recently. If the shop in London has it cheap (say, under a thousand quid) buy it.

You don't reallyhand hold a MF bellows unit. It is always better off with a tripod -- and with all the adjustability on the Contax 645 bellows you're going to want it on a tripod.

Hey Lotus, thanks for the advice, I will get it soon. I heard that you cannot focus to infinity with it, is it true? I wonder if it actually works like a view camera in that respect as for close ups I would rather use my macro lens. Thanks in advance again. Do you have any pictures taken with the bellows so I can see how they turn out?

Hey Lotus,

This is OT, but since you appear to be a Contax 645 user, what are your choices of lenses that you own and use for your Contax 645?

I own the 35mm, 80mm, and 140mm, rounding it off with the Contax/Hasselblad adapter using my assortment of Hasselblad lenses.

What your opinion on the Zeiss 45-90mm zoom versus the standard 45mm?

I was planning on using the Hasselblad 60-120mmFE as an alternate choice where I could get double usage from for both my Contax 645 and Hasselblad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

<p>This is a question for Thomas Johansen, though I realize this is a very old post. Hopefully you're still out there.<br>

You mentioned you have mounted a large format lense to your Contax Auto Bellows to get a wider angle and focus range. I shoot with a Contax 645 and Leaf back. I'd love to be able to shoot wider angles and focus ranges with the Auto Bellows, which I have. Right now, with the exception of a few experimental shots, my bellows are a very lovely $2000. paper weight.<br>

Is there a specific brand of large format lense you'd recommend that closely fits the Contax mount? If you had to customize the lense to fit, how did you do it and is it difficult and expensive to do so? <br>

I shoot commercial table top (mostly plated food) and would love to be able to use this thing for it.<br>

If you're still there, I'd very much appreciate any info/expertise you can share on the subject.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Paul Speed<br>

ps I did get one cool shot with my bellows I'll try to attach if I can here.</p>

<p>This is a question for Thomas Johansen, though I realize this is a very old post. Hopefully you're still out there.<br>

You mentioned you have mounted a large format lense to your Contax Auto Bellows to get a wider angle and focus range. I shoot with a Contax 645 and Leaf back. I'd love to be able to shoot wider angles and focus ranges with the Auto Bellows, which I have. Right now, with the exception of a few experimental shots, my bellows are a very lovely $2000. paper weight.<br>

Is there a specific brand of large format lense you'd recommend that closely fits the Contax mount? If you had to customize the lense to fit, how did you do it and is it difficult and expensive to do so? <br>

I shoot commercial table top (mostly plated food) and would love to be able to use this thing for it.<br>

If you're still there, I'd very much appreciate any info/expertise you can share on the subject.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Paul Speed<br>

ps I did get one cool shot with my bellows I'll try to attach if I can here.</p>