picture the center is blurry and the side is clear

korys_ins

Need some help took this picture the center is blurry and the side

is clear I used my d20 using EX580 flash and my 24/70 I shot it

using the camera in AV mode with 2.8 F Stop, the center is blurry

and the side is clear Is the problem the F stop ? Too bad cant

takes another one and try different setting, the center is blurry

and the side is clear

At f2.8 you don't have much depth of field. It appears you are focused on the closer objects (people) at the edges of the frame and and not the couple in the center. So, in a way the problem is the f-stop. At f2.8 you have to carefully select your focus point. Or use a smaller lens opening (higher f-stop #) to create more DOF.

Read this: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/dof.shtml

TRY SITTING EVERYBODY IN STRAIGHT LINE ( LIKE IN A BENCH) INSTEAD OF IN A CURVE AND AVOID HAVING OBJECTS IN FRONT OF PEOPLE (LIKE AN UMBRELLA POLE OF A HIGH CHAIR). I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY NEW CANON 350 REBEL XT AND I AM SURE IT IS MY PROBLEM AND NOT THE CAMERA. IF YOU ARE IN THIS PICTURE (YOU USED THE SELF TIMER) THAT MAY BE THE REASON THAT THE PICTURE IS OUT OF FOCUS, LAST WEEK I PURCHASED A REMOTE CONTROL RC-1 FOR LESS THAN $30 AND I AM STARTING TO GET BETTER PHOTOS.

SORRY I CAN NOT GIVE A BETTER ADVICE AT THIS TIME,

RAFAEL E GONZALEZ CPA

Hi John,

It's not that the edges are sharp and the center blurry, it's that the close subjects are sharp and the further away ones are blurry. It just happens that the close subjects are at the side. If something were just as close in the center it would be perfectly sharp too.

The problem is that the camera did not focus correctly. Are you using Automatic Focus (AF), and if so do you use the centre AF point. A comment problem is a focus-and-recompose. This is where you depress the shutter half way, and then move the camera before you take the shot. Don't do that or you will get inconsistent shots. Also, are you giving the camera time to focus -- a shutter "half-depress" until you see it has focus.

As others have said the AV aperture setting of f2.8 will give a shallow plane of good focus (DOF). For example a shot focused on an object 10 feet away at a focal length of 70mm using f2.8 will only have things in focus that are between 9.68ft and 10.3ft away. This means only things 3 inches in front and behind the oject will be in focus! Stop the lens down a bit if you can.

You should really try the camera on "P" mode setting too. AV and TV are used for flash fill and can be greatly impacted by ambient light. "P" works completely different in that the camera will supply all the light it needs from the flash. Try the "P" mode and see what happens

Lastly , from the EXIF data of the image you took the shot at 1/25th of a second which is quite slow, you should try for at least 1/60th or faster if you are using hand-held.

Hope this helps, good luck!

--Peter