Issues with used D70?

tristanlaing

Now that the D70 has been around for a while, they are starting to appear used on ebay. I've

seen used kits go (always claimed to be "mint" with no explicit reason to doubt) as low as

400$ US. This is inside my pricerange, while 1000$ is certainly outside it. I'm thinking of

getting one this winter, after the xmas rush. Is it a bad plan to pick up a D70 used? What

issues should I look out for? Is it too risky? I have bought film SLRs on ebay before with good

luck, so I'm not terribly apprehensive.

I would go through every thread in the Nikon Forum that has been posted on the D70. Not just the main forum that comes up, but also the list of filed catergories off to the right side of the screen. There have been issues with almost every camera body made by Nikon. All of the threads here can help you learn what others have already run into and what they have found out.

I don't own a D70, I have a used D1 that I found on Ebay. After reading the threads here on Photo.net, I found that I really didn't want a D70, a D50, or a D100 for my personal style of shooting and equipment I already owned and could get from my dad. I also learned there are oddities about my D1 that others have found and didn't like but learned to live with; I am learning to live with those and others too.

Its nice that we can post our questions on here and get others to help answer them. However, sometimes, you need to search and read through what is already there before you ask. All of the answers are already here in the Nikon forum, you just have to find all the questions hidden the in the threads and catergories already filed.

I have purcased my D70 a year and a half ago and it still looks and works like new. Probably many people are going to sell their "new" D70 when the D200 is out, so used prices for D70 kits may even drop under 400. I don't think the risk of getting a lemon is generally higher than with simple cameras like FM, FE, because most of the used D70 are still in mint condition. But if you get a lemon the repair costs can easily be more than the used price. The main things to look at are the "open parts", mainly the sensor, it should be untouched and clean. Also the CompactFlash slot. I have heard about problems with the card contacts inside because some people used force. I'd try to get one from a reliable dealer or at least from a person which accepts a refund.

A guy from a good feedback should be ok. A good seller should not have a camera that is DOA. I have a D70 and I have extensive work on it. See this thread I gave some response for ..

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EIdU

I had a big job of replacing a aperture control PCB unit and adjust and clean. Adjust for me meant backfocus issues as well. So if you take just the aperture control PCB unit, that is rumoured around $350US for a fix. Again from a good seller this is something that should happen sometime after you bought it Yes, there is a risk. No pain no gain. If it goes well, you win if one yr no issues as warrantee is one yr only. If breaks down after one yr regardless you may be billed anyway.. If you lose out, with repair bill, it should cost less than a new D70 anyway (worst comes to worst). Or send it to a independent repairer and its possibly less, I heard they are under $200US.

You can talk about all risk you like, if you are not gonna see it in person before you buy it, then its pointless talking about it. All I say is a good trader should have a good camera that is not DOA. You may have a off aligned camera that does not cost too much, but you shouldn't have a major job to be repaired (like mine) til after some weeks or months from purchase.

Two factors could effect an eBay price:<br><br> 1.What is their feedback? Anything below a 85% or less than 20 feedbacks should be suspect. Read previous feedbacks for a good idea of what the seller is about. Without decent feedback, I wouldn't touch it.<br> <br>2. Many eBayers will start at a lower price to save on fees. The real price isn't realized until the auction is over. <br><br>Outside of eBay, buyer beware as there are many bait and switch retailers offering rediculous discounts. If it sounds to good to be true....<br><br>Just an observation: My previous camera was a Minolta A1 which I bought for $899.00. Six months later is was down to $699, then after the A2 came out it dropped to as low as $499. If you can wait for the D200 to come out, It's almost certain you'll see a huge price drop.