5D and 10D Tripod Quick Release Plate Sharing

marrio

Considering the almost identical physical dimensions of the 5D and 10D (150 x 110 x 75

mm) , I wonder if it will be possible for the two cameras to share Arca-Swiss style tripod

quick release plates. <p>I know that keeping all buttons and ports on the 5D clear will be a

concern, but if it works that'd be a good way to: <p> 1. Save time whilst the 5D-specific

plates are being fabricated (could take weeks to months).<p> 2. Save money if new plates

wouldn't be necessary for current 10D owners with QR plates, or new 5D owners who can

find used 10D plates.<div>00Dlgt-25942584.jpg.bcebd185909d59b5276594c88369b668.jpg</div>

I think the 5D is a bit wider, sin't it? The camera pplate may still work (even if the 5D is a bit bigger) but, the grip plate may not because the width is also different and that may make it impossible for the center screw to fall into place. Could you test it at a store with a 5D?

And we come to the reason that I use the Wimberley P-5U universal camera plate... These things are expensive, and when I bought the plate(s) I knew I wouldn't be keeping the bodies I had at the time (EOS3 and D30) for ever. Now I have the 20D and it works fine with that. When I get a 5D (maybe if... I went a bought a house this year) it will work with that. I'm not particularly enamoured with the idea of shelling out GBP50 or so every time I change bodies.