to find wedding vendors. The majority of our clients state that they

simply use the wedding websites that have a list of vendors already

prepared for them. The logic seems to be "why recreate the wheel."

Obviously, you should always optimize your site for search engines,

but how many of you are still using heavy-duty search engine

submission practices, beyond the basics? Do you feel that having a

high ranking in search engines still has its merits and is worth the

trouble and expense?

It's funny you should bring this up. My wife and I were just discussing this over coffee this morning.

<p>

The simple answer, is yes.

<p>

Your customers tell you they use the vendor directories, because that's what pops up first. If you were popping up first, they'd tell you they found you from Google.

<p>

A few months ago, we were #2 in Google for <b>Grand Rapids Wedding Photography</b>. This morning, we're #4. Do the same for many cities, there are no local photographers listed on the first page (top ten), only directories. Two others moved up for Grand Rapids Wedding Photography. The guys at WEDJ are geniuses, the way they set up their system. They're one of the listings that passed us. The only way I'm going to pass them, is to pay them.

<p>

The key component to page ranking is the quantity and quality of links back to you. WEDJ says, "sure, we'll list you for free, but you have to link back to us." That's a hell of a lot of links to WEDJ! On the other side of that coin, WEDJ does not openly link back to you for Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Sure, they link back to you, but it's not indexed by the search engines. Unless you pay them. Brilliant! (sounding like a Killian's ad) Their ranking is high, and they get paid by enough to make it profitable.

<p>

Atlanta Wedding Photography brings 1 local photographer in the top ten and 2 in the top twenty. The rest are directories and Shenandoah Music. I didn't even see you in the top fifty.

<p>

For you Jen, try this. Not on your front page (index/home), but on your front wedding page (wedding.htm) put in your title the top three keywords you think works best for you. Perhaps Atlanta Wedding Photography or Atlanta Wedding Photographer (that photography and photographer is such a sticking point). Of course include your business name, but don't include it first. Wait a few weeks, and see what happens.

<p>

As far as submissions go, I think you're beyond that now. It's about site maintenance. Except, maybe, if you ever supply images for vendors, see if they'll link back to you as a "compensation" for the images.

<p>

The front page of your site has a Google ranking of 3/10. Impressive!

• 2 weeks later...