Differences between a UK and USA wedding

Hi there.

When doing a wedding here in the UK the usual order of photographs

is: (1) The Brides homes usually her mother's garden. (2) The

Service (3) The Reception. Then I retire just before the wedding

breakfast.

So if I start at say 9.30am I'm usually done at the latest by 1.30pm.

From these pages American weddings seem to go on a good deal longer.

In the UK, I think most B&Gs welcome the time when they are not in

front of the lens.

Are my perceptions correct?

Also, please rate my website: www.davidpaulphotography.co.uk

Many thanks,

David Paul Thomas.

My experience here has been about 7 to 8 hours on the job, with some break during dinner.

Most weddings in our geographical area begin in late afternoon. Time pressure comes when

the Bride expects hair and make-up shots which often take place before noon. It is the

reason that we added a time constraint to our packages. I would welcome a 4 hour gig, and

last year only did one that was that short.

Hi David,

About the same as Marc says here in CO. too.

I looked at your site and here are a couple of thoughts: The navigation is fast and clean (good). The layout is fine (nothing too fancy). The thumbnails lack a little creativity (frames, toning, varied sizes etc.). The gallery is quick to load and navigate which is good, however, the images/poses are a little 'stiff' for what you describe as classic portraiture. If you are new to the biz. (and I am assuming here), try getting involved with a local association and attending some seminars for inspiration.

Good luck.

Thank you David for your thoughtful comments.

You are right, I am new to the business and have been known to take a positive critique the wrong way - however, I am learning so much from peers on photo.net. Thanks again!

The gallery section is however not 'classic portraiture' but is just my wedding gallery.

d

Thanks again for your critique!

My friend designed the site for me, and he's sort of semi-professional. I think the simple elegance he has created is much better than all the sites with fancy animation etc.

David

A short wedding in the US runs about 6 hours. Most weddings, about 8 hours. This does not

include travel time to and from the wedding. Obviously, it's important to price the wedding

packages accordingly, as we can only shoot one wedding/event a day.

My own wedding in Australia was perhaps 6 hr including the ceremony and travel time to the reception hall. Our photographer was there maybe 3 hours. I have shot a handful of weddings and they were about 5-6 hours but the reception was also the wedding chapel. My last wedding was 12+ plus hour day with the bridal party being almost 90 minutes late and the reception lasting well over six hours. I gave a flat rate but finally had to tell the B&G that I would be leaving 10 minutes with or without the bouquet and garter toss photos. Otherwise I think I be there another hour or more. I still offer flat rates but extra fees over 6 hours.

Just to clarify on David's behalf, his question was around the amount of time the photographer spends at a wedding, lots of answers have been about the time the wedding lasts.

To reiterate - in the UK a 'traditional' wedding photographer typically only works for about 4 hrs (sometimes lots less). The wedding would still be an all day affair (going until about midnight).

To answer your question David, I now shoot a PJ style and the reality of that is that I have to be there until (at least) after the first dance. Otherwise there's nothing to 'document'. I'd hazard a guess that I'm not alone in the UK shooting like this. I personally find this much more rewarding than doing the 'traditional' stuff, and interestingly (for our American friends) the PJ style is relatively 'new' and uncommon where I live and work.

We work 5 or 6 hours as a rule but up to 10 if needed. Plus travel.

Your site is nice and is easy to use. A question back at you please?

Also I see that you offer a package of 60 images from which the B&G may get 40 prints. It has been my experience that in the States the client expects 150-200+ proofs. Is 60 or so standard in the UK?

<i>"Also I see that you offer a package of 60 images from which the B&G may get 40 prints. It has been my experience that in the States the client expects 150-200+ proofs. Is 60 or so standard in the UK?"</i><p>

As David hasn't replied, I'll tell you; Yes it's very common for a traditional wedding photographer in the UK to offer so 'few' pictures.<p>

But you have to think about my previous answer, here's a 'typical' running order for 'traditional UK wedding photography':<p> a short pre-shoot with just the bride, the groom and best man outside the church, the signing of the register, the recessional, group photo's, some location shooting of the happy couple, followed by a mock up of the cake cutting and the photographer can leave.<p>

As you can see, that doesn't give you a lot of material to work with. When I shot this way I could easily get away with shooting 2 rolls of 36 exp, indeed with MF I have shot an 'entire wedding' on 2 rolls of 15on.(I was working to strict budgets - but it can easily be done).

I'm a UK occasional wedding photographer - referrals only. I provide a service to couples who are happy with the usual formal type images and who want to have a good time on their wedding day which means spending a minimum of time on grinning for the photographer. <p>

I see the number of images provided by the US professionals and I wonder just how long the B & G can expect to be standing being photographed out of the 7 or 8 hours that you guys seem to have to be on duty. Most of my clients are looking for an hour or two at the most and then get on with having a good time. Provided that all the principal guests are recorded nicely and there is a clutch of more creative ones of the couple, everyone is delighted.