D200 kit twice the price of D70s kit, worth it?

photo5

Now that B&H has the D200 kit in stock at $1999 and the D70s kit in stock at $999,

anyone think it's really worth twice the price of the D70s kit for the D200? It really doesn't

seem like you get - twice the camera - for the money in the D200.

D200 owners who have used and or owned the D70s, care to comment?

$999 is a pretty tempting price, but I paid $1049 with a $100 rebate for my D70 kit last

June.

Did they fix the BGLOD problem in the D70s? I don't think they did.

Dave

I just sold my D70 after buying the D200. It was worth the extra expenditure to me because I have several AiS lenses, and they won't meter on the D70. The D70 was/is a great camera for someone who shoots auto lenses and isn't going to enlarge more than 8X12. I guess it just depends on your needs.

i also got my D70 kit (my first camera) last June and was instantly addicted. i found (after

vigorous searching) my D200 - body only, 1 month ago with the 17-35 and the 70-200

VR the next week.

if you've got the glass and can delve into the deep custom settings - it's more than worth

it. if not, add pro lenses before acquiring this beauty. also - when you do get it, you'll

appreciate having your D70 as a backup for bad weather days or 90 degree plus heat.

High-end items vs. lower-end items never carry a direct correlation between price and an increase in performance. For instance, a Mercedes E350 is twice as expensive as a Ford Taurus. Is it twice as good? I doubt it. But for those that can afford it or have a different set of priorities, why not? After all, it's only money and you can't take it with you.

But regarding the D200 vs. D70s body, I would say that the D200 body is 1.75 times as good as the D70s. For those that use their cameras hard, use AIS lenses, need better weather-sealing, or higher resolution images, it is money well-spent.

I think depend on what you shoot.

If you use a lot of fast lens. I think D200 is a lot better than D70. I found my D200 focus much better than D70/D100, especially when NOT using centeral AF point. D200 is my first camera with a non-CAM900 multi-AF point AF module. i guess i'll do less "focus recompose" with the D200.

pricewise, i think D50 is alot more tempting. I could find a grey market one (without kit lens) at around USD$480 here in hong kong.

the ability to use MF lens on D200 is a big selling ponit for those who 've MF lens.

In my opinion, the d200 is easier and faster to use (changing settings, overall functionality, faster, more accurate focussing). It feels better in my hands too.

The big difference, and most important, is picture quality. I am not talking about sharpness because sharpness is a function of lens quality and technique. I got superb pictures with my d70. Overall picture quality is just better - nicer colors, more consistant and proper exposures.

If you are looking for overall better pictures, the extra money is a small price to pay considering how long the camera will be kept and how much it will be used (in my case, anyway).

I also feel that you can likely get identical pictures with identical lenses on either camera. The d70 might take a little more tinkering.

I have not heard of anyone being disappointed with a d70. I guess if you have the money, you can have the best and not worry about it. I suspect that somone who is on a tight budget might be better off getting the d70 and a pro-series lens rather than the d200 with a cheap lens.

Actually, maybe I am incorrect... I used a $175 Tamron 28-300 lens on my d200 for a short period of time (I actually tested it at a wedding I shot). I got exceptional results (outdoors). Excellent exposures and sharp images. so who knows... I have since upgrade to the 17-55 (I could not afford this lens at the time of my camera purchase). The Nikon lens is better!

I'm sure the D200 is a much better camera. However, the $1,100 price difference was too

much for me to swallow. I purchased a D70s kit yesterday for $889. If I were a pro who

made my living through photography, I'd have gotten the D200. The money I saved gets

me on a trip where I can take some shots.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer this. What level is your photography? How large of prints do you make? Do you need the features the D200 offer that the D70 doesn't have?

D200 begs for quality lenses. Do you have the lenses or have the money to order them? Will the 1k be better spent on a quality lens?

No one here can answer your question. Only you can answer it.

Absolutely love my D200, but I loved my D70 (still have as a backup) a ton too.

It's a question you'll have to ask yourself. Gene has a great approach to getting the lesser camera because he didn't need the extra features and using the extra cash to take a trip (smart guy!). Only you can say what you'll need. Do a features comparison and see which will suit your shooting style better. :)

Most, if not all, D70/D70s owners love their camera until they get a hold of the D200.

I used to have a D70, and it served my purpose for the 18 months or so that I had it. I bought a D200 primarily for my AIS lenses, but I've since found that ease of use, intuitive controls, ergonomics, superior viewfinder and faster AF module are just as important as factors as the AIS-compatibility.

Whether it is "Worth it" is different for each of us. But I would dare say that if you ever get a chance to use a D200, even for a few hours, you'll probably try to find a way to sell your D70 and scrape up the extra cash to buy a D200.

KL

Before I buy any equipment, my simple test are: (1) Can I afford it and? (2) In which ways will it improve my final images?

Be honest to yoursef and asswer those questions. For example, in this particular case, is the D70/D70s holding you back? What are its main drawbacks and are those improved in the D200?