my use. This case will hold my D70 with extra grip with my Nikon 80-

400VR lens on the camera. Plus two other lens my Tokina 28 to 80 F2.8

and the Tokina 20 to 35 2.8 with room to spare. I got the model that

has the foam deviders because it comes with a well made lid organizer

which will hold filters and all kinds of small stuff.Plus it comes

with a shoulder strap. This fits my needs because a lot of the

shooting I do in the summer here in Alaska is done from our boats

dingy and spray is always a problem with water on the floor as well

and it is always a concern keeping the camera bags from getting wet.

When on land I prefier to use a belt system. This case could also be

mounted on a Kayak. The case when closed is totaly water proof and

will float. Check it out by going to Google. My model costs 100

dollars

Hmm, this page has it on sale for $75. Adding shipping would probably get it close to $100 though.

http://www.pelican-case.com/1430.html

Comparing it to what I have now: It seems to be about the size of my small rocket box (surplus ammo can type), but lighter. The rocket box actually opens faster than the Pelican case I have, but is more clumsey. I had to add foam instead of remove it. I also had to make my own dividers and organizers, but they are now a cusom fit for my stuff. My rocket box is completely waterproof, and I know this because I've flipped my rafts and kayaks in too much Alaskan water to doubt it's seal. All in all, the Pelican seems to be a bit better product than the rocket box, but costs $90 more than what I have.

Think I should buy it Dennis? Hmmm. :^)

• 2 weeks later...
Jim, there are differnt modles of this case. One is just empty of all foam etc. The next one has solid foam which you can pick small pices out to fit your gear and has solid foam in the lid. The one I have has a multi mesh compartments in the lid and nylon foam dividers in the box which can be moved around. This one cost the most. I found that I can also fit my F5 in the case as well with a Tokina 20to35mm lens mounted as well as all the other stuff.

I keep thinking I should replace my ammo can with a good box, but so far I haven't seen enough advantages for me to spend the money. For the river rafting that I do the cheap ammo cans actually work well if you get one with a good seal, but I doubt it would work so well from the deck of a sea kayak. The only kayaking I do is in an inflatable, bobbing down a river, and there I am able to lash the box to the floor between my legs and still get to it fast. A top loading box like the 1430 would work well for this too.

Then I think of the other things I could do with a $100 bill. :)

Where abouts you located Dennis? Southeast perhaps? I spent a couple years in Juneau. Now I'm back home in Anchorage. Very close to the real Alaska, but quite there. :)