thing although much less than the big lens (or maybe I'm just

noticing it more with a bigger heavier lens). I did a few searches

and found out that this is the case with most canon shooters with the

70-200 and they they don't worry about and it causes no problems. I

was just curious how many other shooters out there have had the same

problem? Does anyone know why the canon lense mounts can have that

tiny bit of slop? Thanks, John

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DAy8

This was my question back in August. I also said none of my other lenses moved but after checking them on my 20D and EOS 300V (Rebel TI) the only lense that didn't move is the 50mm 2.5 macro. I didn't notice any of my lenses moving until I got the 70 - 200L and the only reason was because the lens goes on the tripod and when pressing the shutter button the camera moved fractionally. The 70 - 200 L was my first big spend on a lens so it pi**** me off no end for about 2 days. I had to wait 5 days for a swap over so in the meantime I went into a few camera stores pretending I was interested in buying an EOS body with the 70 - 200L, I checked different bodies and they all moved. So I never bothered with the swapover and apart from the operator my photo's are spot on. I recently purchased the 24 - 70L and to be honest I havent even checked to see if there is any play with the lens.

Id it rotates around the lens mount there is no problem. If it wiggles side to side or up and down then you can start to worry. If it was too tight then thermal expansion could result in lens lock and and a small twist could bend the lens locking pin. You don't make metal to metal contact tight if you don't have to.

It only rotates around the lens mount, no left/right or up/down wiggle. Your thoughts on making the metal mounts have a slight bit of play makes total sense. It was freezing outside when I felt the loose fit in the mounts. I wonder how the fit will be in the middle of the summer? I feel a whole lot better about the whole subject. Thanks,

John

Glad I could set your mind at ease John, here is a theory I just thought of, If you look at the set up of the lense and camera, there is only one locking pin. So as stated if the metal expands then the locking pin would not fit in the hole so the lense would not lock in place.

All my lenses are a tight fit as in no movement up or down or side to side, just a fraction of movement clockwise and anti clockwise. My sigma lense is the same and as sigma are a third party lense maker then this must be the norm for all camera bodies not just Canon mounts.

• 2 weeks later...