The shop owner said it was put on consignment by a family friend and

that the camera was basically in a drawer for the past 25 years. He

was asking $895 for the set and I offered $700 because of the

abovementioned issues. I might go up to $800 if the seller is

willing to deal.

I might go buy it tomorrow, but I should factor the CLA cost in as

well. So whaddya think? I need a third Leica likea hole in my head

but I'm hoping that pricewise I'll end up ahead. I should probably

sell something to finance this, or wait for my tax return.

I see M3s going for $600-$1000 on ebay and the lux might fetch $500?

Thanks

Hi Anth,

It's a great deal only if you get a return agreement just in case you find out after burning a roll that there is something wrong.

It might look mint but it's only a good deal if it shoots / works mint.

Pricing is great as others have stated.

Maybe offer to meet him halfway between your $700 and his $800 as long as he gives you at least a few days to shoot a roll and test it. If he won't agree to that, bring a roll of 12X with you to the shop and ask him if you can load it and fire off 12 shots, different F Stops, shutter speeds just to do a quick check. Run it over to a one hour lab and just get the negs done to check it. It's worth the $5 or $6 it will cost you since you're getting such a good price on the package to begin with. Unless he has something to hide, there is no reason why he wouldn't agree to it.

Good luck, nice find...

Happy Holidays

Subject: Response to $800 for M3 and 50 1.4...Good price?

Kent---I forgot that yesterday was my 9 year anniversary, so if that lapse in judgement brought me this good karma, from this day forward I shall forget more often.

Michael---I thought this shop sold cameras, but the dude told me he only repairs Nikon/Canon film cameras. He just happened to have the M3 and some older EOS model up for consignment. I don't think a trial period will be allowed but I like the idea JT had of bringing a roll of film to take a few shots at the store. I got a bunch of $1 200ASA walgreen's film already. As a side note I asked him how business was going, and he said with the advent of digital he's either gotta learn to fix the collectibles or more likely start a new business. He mentionedd something about a "JuiceItUp" franchise.

I think this is too good a deal to pass up should everything check out. I like my M2 though, hazy VF, loose leatherette, sometimes sticky shutter and all (well it's only happened three times now and a tap to the baseplate releases it). Who knows, maybe I'll buy the lot and then sell the M3 and keep the lux (which is really all I wanted initially, but he won't break the set)and if my karma stands firm I can sell it for close to the price I paid for the lot, essentially procuring a free lux.

Thanks for the replies. I was fairly sure I made a rare find at a great price, but wanted to check with the experts.

Don't sell the M3, it's better suited to the 50mm lens than your M2, IMHO. Of course if you prefer a 35mm lens...<p>

<p>

BTW, I think it is expecting a lot for a camera of this vintage to function perfectly straight out of the shop, without a sevice. I would simply check that it was essentially all intact and has no <i>major</i> issues (a sticky shutter, out of calibration rangefinder and shutter speeds are to be expected) and then have it serviced.

I know it's a good deal. I'm gonna go buy it on Sat. The man at the shop called the owner today and he came down from 895 to 825. My only concerns were that I already have an M2 and M6, money's tight after xmas shopping for the kiddies, and I should send it off right away for a CLA which is another wad of cash.

Jerry---thanks using the word 'acumen'. Had to look that up. Although I don't think anyone will buy it anytime soon if I choose not to. This shop had very little in the way of foot traffic.

Speaking of acumen, I might be willing to give this camera's location for a generous finder's fee. It's in SoCal.

a few months ago I bought an M3 alone for $650 and immediately sent it to DAG for a

CLA, which added another $300.. so, $950 later, I have a nice Leica, but it's still probably

not as nice as that one sounds and that was sans lens.. you're paying at least $500 under

the market price

I'd call the shop and tell them you'll take it as soon as you can get down there.. I wouldn't

worry about having a return period if you're planning to get it CLA'd

Hmmm, Anthony, just what does this shop repair? Maytags?

Seriously, Brett, above, has already heard this tale, but I just bought on ePrey, a 1959 M3 (SS) that's in good condition, but has been well-CLAd last year, along with a VG 50 Summarit 1.4 LSM (no caps), a ring adapter, a tired ER case and a cheap table tripod for $850. Not a great bargain; but certainly it's not as nice as what I hope by now is "yours." Let us know your outcome.

And, I can give you the Pasadena Leitz-trained CLA shop name and address, if you want local service, rather than long distance.

Cheers,

Ray Hull

There is no point to sell off your M6 since it's very useful with the built-in meter.

$850 is a great deal and I will get it for sure. But think again, if you like your M2 very much, why buy a M3 instead?

For me, I will sell the M3 for $550 and keep the Summilux, so you will have a Summilux 50 for $300. Not bad huh?

Show us the pictures once you get the set!