1st version 35mm Summicron Greatest Lens Ever Made ?

tony_salce

John, it's the Type 1 I have in screw mount, and I have no desire to dump it, being one of my own favorite optics. I assume you are refering to the limited edition screw mount aspherical for the Japanese market which is, to my knowledge, no different from the M-mount aspherical ... how is it a well-known dog?

""The infinity lock is not a burden." I agree with that, Stephen. I've had lenses with infinity locks ever since my 35mm Summaron, then my 35mm Summicron I, and my 35mm Summilux pre-ASPH. My fingers expect it to be there. With my later lenses that lack a lock, something feels missing. I use it as the default position. When shooting a distant subject, I can pick up the camera and shoot, knowing that the lens won't accidently have been moved off infinity."

Leica (and others) put the infinity locks on lenses for one reason only, which was so the focus didn't turn when the lens was being screwed on of off the body. Further proof of that are the Nikkors that didn't have locks in Nikon RF mount but the LTM versions do. The early 21 and 35 lenses in M mount had them because at first they were screw mount lenses, with (semi)permanently attached M flanges. After the screw mount cameras were stopped, so were the infinity locks, and no other brand lens has ever had them since. Like many of the quirks and idiosyncracies of Leicas, fans come up with elaborate "reasons" why Leica did so-and-so and why it was brilliant and genius. Leica stopped with the infinity locks and no other manufacturer uses them, which is probably an indication of how many photographers agree with me rather than you, though probably you will just think you're smarter/better than all the rest of us.

The apparent performance of a lens depends not only on the lens but also on the film it is combined with. For many of us, the best color film of all time was Kodachrome II. Leica lenses produced when KII was around have a very special look that simply isn't possible with the current crop of high-contrast, high-saturation films.

My suspicion (and it is only that), is that infinity locks were placed on WA lenses, so that in the reportage photography use, the user would not inadvertantly move it. Given the DOF that is present in the 21 and 35 mm lenses, it was one less thing for the photographer to be concerned about.

As Leica use for reportage declined (and production costs climbed) it was more than likely dropped for cost considerations. In much the same manner as chrome/brass lens construction was dropped for ten years or so until CNC use (and purist complaints) allowed it.

It would appear that costs have again raised their head, as I understand that many lenses, previously available in brass/chrome, have been dropped.

Best,

Jerry

The 8th MIGHT be the best during the earlier years for Leica 35mm summicron. BUT...But with the introduction of 35mm ASPH, it's not the best anymore.

Color rentention for the 8th is not as saturated as the new ASPH. The color tends to be cooler...meaning slightly bluish.

Furthermore the "BOLEK" is not as good as the ASPH. With the ASPH, the vignetting is minmise and the subject is tack-sharp with smooth bolek at F2.

Many of the 8th element summicron suffers from FOGGING which is due to the lens coating. The only good thing i see is the lens barrel. solid. and that's it.Prices is over rated.

we did a blind test. Shooting the same subject without telling which lens took the pictures. Majority prefer the 35mm summicron ASPH.

So the test yourself and see the differences

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

<p>I've had many versions of 35mm lenses. 35/2 4th Summicron(just sold), 35/2.8 Summaron goggled(will sell), 35 Summilux ASPH pre-FLE (sold), and now I just bought 35 Summicron goggled 8 element ver 1. I bought goggled version because they are cheaper than without goggled version and it's perfect for M3.<br>

Here's verdict. I have tested only for resolution not bokeh.<br>

-35 lux asph is sharp from f1.4 and smaller apertures.<br>

-35 cron ver 1 sharpest from f2 and sharper than lux asph and beats all at f4 (super sharp and in fact sharper than 50 lux asph I just sold).<br>

-35 Summaron almost as aharp as ver 1 and comes very close to Lux asph from f2.8 and equals by f8.<br>

-35 4th Cron not as sharp as all the rest. Not even centre and worse in the corners.</p>

<p>35 cron ver. 1 at f2 is sharp but has glows/halos and is sharper in the corners than Lux asph.<br>

I had just sent in 35 ver 1 for cla to Gerry Smith at Kindermann because it has oil on the blade so when it come back I can even expect more from the lens.</p>

<p>The other lens as sharp as this is 50mm DR Cron, as mine is the latest in mint. Almost as sharp as 50 Lux ASPH. That's why I sold it.</p>

<p>35mm 4th Cron in known for "King of Bokeh" and I've had two and I found it not as sharp and has busy bokeh especially tree leaves and gives bouble edges on hard objects.<br>

As soon as I get my 35 cron 8 element back from cla, then I'll have 35/2.8 for sale.<br>

I never knew a lens so sharp that I could almost get cut.</p>

<p>I've tested using two magazines at a close range and at different times so it varies but I did it in my usual shooting way so it convinced me enough to believe it. I did research online and everyone claim that their lenses are the best and such so I did my own test.<br>

So, for me, the 1st version 35mm Summicron Greatest Lens Ever Made.</p>

<p>Best Regards,<br>

Jun</p>