Lens cap size for 35mm summilux pre asph

david_thrower

Hi everyone,

Many apologies if this has been answered before but I have looked

for an answer and can't find one.

I've recently bought an old 35mm summilux 1.4 lens (made in Canada)

but it came without a front lens cap.

Please can anyone tell me the size required. I could measure the

diameter but I'd probably get it wrong!.

This is my first Lecia lens - I bought it with an M6 classic, and I

am really loving using them. All my work pics are taken on digital

and it is such great fun to use the Leica for all my personal stuff.

I also have a G1 and 45mm lens which I love but I can't be 100% sure

where it's focusing but the Leica focusing is fabulous.

I do own quite a few older cameras (mainly Canon FD kit) along with

all my digital stuff but nothing feels as good as the M6.

Best regards

Dave Thrower<div>00EauB-27095684.jpg.4faf36e531a31bbc38dbcd1b1d85ea08.jpg</div>

David, my 35mm pre-ASPH Lux takes the same lens cap as all my older lenses that take a 39mm filter size. I use the regular old Leica metal cap. This lens does not take filters directly. There are no threads in the front. Filters (series 7) are installed into the special sunshade (12504) made for this lens.

The early version has E41 threads, the later version has no threads at all and the hood is required to hold threadless series VII filters. Both will accept a 42mm push-on cap though the early version will stretch the cap and it tends to work its way off. The 35 Summilux is one of the few Leica lenses I do not own, because it has much lower performance than any other M-mount lens made by Leitz and is of little interest as a collectible due to its lack of rarity. However that is not to say it is a bad performer, just a notch below what we expect from Leica.

Shah,

I have the Series VII version of this lens. What you say about its performance I can confirm. However, I sent mine back to Leitz, complaining that it wasn't up to par. Though they returned it without comment, it is not the same lens! It is the sharpest by far of all my M lenses (Yes, I've done tests).

I have Kodachrome 25's on which you can clearly see the threads on the necktie of a person in the group. For this reason alone, I will never part with it!

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for all your help and comments, I will search ebay etc for a lens cap.

I must admit I find this lens to be pretty sharp although I can't compare it to other Leica or Leitz lenses as I don't have any yet. I have taken lots of shots with my Canon FD 35mm f2 SSC lens and although there is any noticeable difference in sharpness that I can see I do prefer the colour rendition that I get with the leica lens - it's somehow more pastel like and warmer than the Canon lens.

For me the beauty of my M6 and 35mm lens is the fact that it just feels right. It's easier to carry than an slr with 35mm lens and the rangefinder focusing is great. Also it doesn't attract the attention of a big SLR camera.

I wasn't sure how I would take to a rangefinder after years of shooting slr's but I have found the whole experience to be spot on. I take the M6 everywhere I go and even when I'm shooting commissioned work on my digital setup I still have the M6 around because I just like using it!.

Best regards

Dave Thrower

the summilux 35 is a great lens, Puts says it outperforms summicron 35 of the same vintage, my personal experience tallies with it. In outer zones, summilux shows more details, but performance above f2 and f1.4 is only passable. I will say late summilux 35 will be better than the same vintage summicron, plus the summilux is better made. The fitler is a thorn though.