Film Types!?

steven_boyd1

<p>Hello I am a novice photographer who has just begun developing his own film and prints, but it has been somewhat of a hasle trying to buy the same film I have used since photography class. This leads me to my question(s)!<br>

I take black and white photos only at the moment and use Arista.EDU 400 and 100 film. Buying this film through FreestylePhotography.com is becoming somewhat of a hastle now so when walking around places like Wal-Mart, CVS, and Walgreens I can see they are selling film with the proper ISO, BUT I have little knowledge when it comes to film. It is normaly named Fujifilm or some other brand, but its color film. I have read B&W photographers sometimes use this film anyways because of contrast etc.. So my questions are...<br>

-The color film is easier to obtain for me vs. online purchases , but I normaly use B&W film from the websites... so should I either buy the easy to obtain film, or deal with the online purchases that can sometimes be a hastle for me and my family?<br>

-What would be the pros and cons of using the color film with my current chemisty and darkroom setup for B&W only?</p>

<p>Help is much apreciated! Thanks! <br>

P.S. , If you have a prefered type of film that you would use for your Black and White photography I would love it if you made mention of it! </p>

<p>Well you could buy a roll of the cheapest colour neg film you can find and try it, but I'll bet you will run back to real black and white film. :) Try phoning some of the local camera shops and see what they stock and ask about prices. I'm lucky in that way, there is a local shop that stocks all things for b&w and colour printing and an excellent variety of all types of film.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>". . . pros and cons . . . current chemistry . . . B&W only?"<br>

The short answer, beginner's forum style, is that if you develop a color film with black and white chemicals, it's not going to come out right. There is a black and white (silver) layer in the color film, but it's built to work with the color layers, too.</p>

<p>It can be done; the results are usually not nearly as good as a black and white film developed that way; but, there are some specifics that will get in the way. Color films are pretty much formulated so that they get a standardized form of processing, with a standard set of chemistry used under standardized conditions. Tinkering with that is not impossible, but it's pretty much not worth it on the beginner's end of things. </p>

<p>There's more to that; but, that's my beginner's forum answer. It's not impossible, but I don't think you're going to be happy with the fussing that it will require. </p>

<p>For your applications, why not try a "chromogenic" black and white color film? These are films that are designed to yield black and white prints, when processed through C-41 color processing, just like you would find at most drop-off places. </p>

<p>The color negative films can be developed to B&W, as said, but the results are of interest only to those who are trying to recover some older process films in old cameras (like Gene M.). As indicated you won't get satisfactory results with B&W chemistry from new color film.<br>

I'm sure your course gave you more general skills than just doing Arista, if you generalize from what you are doing there. You can shoot any ISO film you want, just follow the developing instructions that usually come with the film (often printed on the inside of the box). Otherwise, the general instructions for different developers should be available online somewhere. Kodak, for example has data sheets in pdf form for their films like Tri-X (ISO 400) and Plus-X (ISO 125).</p>

<p>You took a photography class, can't the instructer suggest a few places? Or as Bob Sunley suggested, photo shops probably sell film or can recommend places to you. Is there a photography club in your area? Maybe some of the members can help you. Here in ou mid-sized city there are several places selling film, I can't imagine its' too different where you are, unless you are quite isolated. Kurt</p>

<p>Thanks all for your help and sugjestions I think I have a better grasp on the subject now. <br>

just a few ansers -<br>

- buying from websites can be a hastle because of credit issues. :/<br>

- there are a few photo shops nearby here in Houston and i plan to visit and ask my many begginer questions hah.</p>

<p>Thanks again everyone for your insight!</p>