Elmarit 90mm front lens needed

laptoprob

I've owned a couple examples of these - and seem to remember that in each of these, the

focussing mounts were etched with the lens serial number. Could be that there are slight

differences from lens to lens, which would be accomodated by matching each mount to

each lens. Just a caution, and maybe a recommendation to go ahead and buy a complete

lens with its (dedicated?) focus mount. Any comments from others about this?

Yes, even Leica can't make all lens elements interchangeable. While they can control the radius of curvature, controlling the overall thickness is a bit more challenging.

They measure the individual elements, and assemble them into consistent sets. There is a lot of "select at test" in Leica's lens making. (More so in 1963 than now.)

Changing one element with one from a different lens, of different focal length, will create a "mutt". A lens that isn't fully sharp, and whose focal length doesn't match the focal length of the focusing mount. Especially in that era, Leica made focusing mounts in about six different focal lengths, measured the finished lens block, and paired it with the correct focusing mount. Please don't make a mutt, it will be the un-dead haunting future lens buyers.

Another problem: how many lenses have damage to an element other than the front one? Well, there may be some with fungus etched inner elements. But, other than that, there just aren't donor lenses out there.

Now, there are folks who can do some repolishing of lens elements, especially if the damage is just to the coating. For instance, Focal Point Lens, or CRR Luton. But I don't think it would be cost-effective on this lens, which I presume isn't a rarity.

There is a shop near me that has a 90 Elmarit of that vintage on consignment. I'm not sure of the price, but I seem to remember that it was pretty reasonable. No idea as to the condition. If you're interested, I'll look up their number and get it to you.

I'd also be willing to stop by and give you my decidedly NON-expert opinnion on the lens.