Canon 28mm f/2.8 vs. Canon 28mm f/1.8 - Test Results!

sheldonnalos

I definetely concede, this copy of the 28mm f/1.8 is well below the average for the lens. I'm also very glad that it's not my lens.

My goal in posting this is not to defame the reputation of the 28mm lens, but rather to help establish points of reference for people who want to know what a lens is like. Dialogue like the above, with associated photos and crops from many different lenses, really helps others to make a decision about what lens to get.

Thanks to all who contributed, it's been beneficial.

Sheldon

PS. Nope, no lens flare either... The sun was at ~90 degrees, and I held a large piece of cardboard off to the side of the camera so the whole thing was in the shade.

<p> <i>The sky is falling! LOL. Yakim, I'm glad you are open enough to have changed your mind about this one. :-) </i> </p>

<p> <i>BTW - Yakim! How could you go and buy a 28mm f/1.8 after all your staunch defense of the f/2.8? (Actually, I totally understand why) I hope you get a sharper copy! </i> </p>

<p> <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BZwA">Here is a reminder of the things I said</a>. I stand behind everything I wrote. The only thing that changed is that I decided to give this lens a try because I <b>really</b> like ring USM and fast aperture. As my prints aren't that big, the optical inferiority of the 28/1.8 (especially concerning edge sharpness) may not be that obvious.</p>

<p> And thank you, I hope I will get a sharp copy.</p>

<p>Happy shooting, <br>

Yakim.</p>

All these pros and cons made me think over my decision for quite a while, but yesterday I took the plunge and bought an EF28/1.8 as well. I haven't had the time to check the optics yet. Hopefully this weekend.

Om my 1D2 it will "be" very close to the 35/2.0 which I loved in the old manual focus FD days. I don't think I will use it fully open very much, but I love to have a nice bright viewfinder.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is getting a little old, but I thought someone might be interested in this...

I'm selling the 28mm f/2.8 from this test on E-bay this week, item number 7570645000.

The main purpose I had for this lens was as a walkaround lens on a film body, and I've since replaced it with a 35mm f/2 (I prefer the look of the 35mm focal length).

Thanks!

• 5 years later...

<p>The only place that defines the lens performance is in a high quality optical laboratory, of which I own and have been operating for more that thirty years. I have tested thousands of lens worldwide.<br>

Sample pictures are not tests , just pictures.<br>

The companies and Gov. agencies that I have contracts with would not allow or accept such non-sense to be posted as to the merits of a lens .<br>

Under monochromatic conditions, the 28mm F/1.8 is a better lens at F/1.8. For color, the Canon 28mm at F/2.8 scored higher. Now, stopping down a lens only reduces the flaws found in each design or build quality of the lens. The downside of ANY stop down is the loss of definition. Only the very best lens can be used wide open with the maximum definition displayed. Canon has few lens that fall into this category.<br>

As a certified testing facility. we have found that many "on line test reports" are severly flawed. Perhaps there are other reasons driving such false reports or it is just a lack formal education and experience by those who conduct such tests incorrectly.<br>

My test facility has advanced degree people, each with over 40 years experience in lens design, optical testing and advanced system analysis .<br>

Mike Palermiti</p>