Getting Closer To Having The Right Gear!

timhaut

Alright after much research and questioning all of you I have come up with a list of

equipment I feel will be sufficient for me for my first few weddings. Some of it I have.

Some of it I don't have yet; the 3 lenses I have selected being something I don't have yet.

Good news too! I picked up 2 more weddings! That's 6 now! So here's the

list:<br><br><br>

<b>Cameras</b><br>

Canon 20D<br>

Canon Rebel 300D<br>

Canon Rebel 2000<br><br><br>

<b>Lenses</b><br>

Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM<br>

Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L USM<br>

Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM<br><br><br>

<b>Media</b><br>

1 GB Sandisk CF<br>

2 GB Sandisk Ultra II CF<br>

(2) 4 GB Sandisk Ultra II CF<br><br><br>

<b>Batteries (accessories)</b><br>

5 BP-511A Batteries<br>

Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip<br>

50 AA's<br><br><br>

<b>Tripod</b><br>

Bogen/Manfrotta 3011BN w/ 3047 3-way tilt pan head<br><br><br>

<b>Flashes (accessories)</b><br>

Canon 550EX<br>

Canon 430EX<br>

Stroboframe Pro-T Flash Bracket<br>

Stroboframe Flash Mount Adapter<br>

LumiQuest Big Bounce<br>

Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce<br>

(2) Canon Off-camera shoe cord 2<br><br>

So, any suggestions? Do you think the lens selections will work; is a longer telephoto

neccessary? What about quick release plates for flash bracket? Also real big question I

would like answered is: What kind of bag do you reccommend for carrying all this stuff?

As always thanks for helping me out!

Tim,

Your eq. list should get you started. Yes, your lenses will work. I use the 24-70 on a full frame for about 80 percent of shots at weddings. Your longest is 136mm (85 1.8) and there may be times you will want/need something longer. I use a 70-200 on a FF a lot and have several times extended it out to 280mm. If church restricts you to the back or balcony, then you will be wanting a longer lens - if you keep shooting weddings, it's only a matter of time till that happens.

I use Stroboframe's QR system and find it a convenience I couldn't do without - a plate on ea. camera body and 70-200 lens and QR on Pro-T, tripod head and monopod head. Everything is interchangable and fast to set-up and take down.

I know a lot of shooter here do not use battery packs on their flashes, but I think I would miss a lot of shots that I get while waiting on the flash to recycle without a pack. Again, not necessary, but I find it a convenience I'd not want to give up.

I use Pelican hard cases because I can secure them. Have a look here:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FVcW

As for suggestions: Learn your camera bodies and flashes and be able to compensate both on the fly for any and all lighting conditions. Weddings can be fast moving and if you don't anticipate the next action, and reaction to capture the emotion, you will miss the best shots.

One final word: It's not about the gear, it's about the images you capture.

Cliff