while since i already have a 545 pro. Supposedly the latest red

button Kodak readyload holders are the only ones tha have the slots

to clip into a graflok back.

I finally gave in and bought one new from B+H to save some weight

from my 545 pro and when it got here, guess what. No slots for the

graflok clips.

So once and for all which readyload holders are the ones with the

slots.

BTW this new holder is a red button holder.

Troy,

I feel your pain - and I think I'm the one who told you they had graflok slots. You previous post got me to thinking I need a backup for my nearly 4 year old holder, so a couple of months ago I bought one from Badger, and like yours, no graflok slots. My old one, which is also a black-plate, red-button, late single-sheet holder DOES have them.

Also check to make sure the film is flat. I sent a late one back because film dimpled in one corner. The old one holds film flat.

Steve

Sorry but I still don't get it. When shooting hand-held with a rangefinder why wouldn't you just slip the Readyload into the back as you would if you were shooting hand-held with a rangefinder and using a normal film holder, i.e. what is it about hand-held with a rangefinder that causes you to want to remove the back and use the Graflok clips and slots? I should add that although my camera has a Graflok-type back and a rangefinder I've never shot hand-held with either of them so there's probably something really obvious that I'm missing.

Brian, Shawn, <br>Two words come to mind instantly, Stability and Rigidity. Too easy to pull a film holder out of place or knock it out even if the focus panel springs are very strong. Try using one hand to handle any type of film holder you have from inserting into camera to removing/reinstalling the darkslide or buy a Polaroid holder and some film and pull a few sheets.<br>Charles

I'm beginning to feel like an idiot because I don't see any difference from an ease of use/rigidity/stability standpoint between inserting a normal film holder and removing/replacing the dark slide with one hand vs. inserting a Readyload holder and pulling the envelope up/pushing it back down with one hand. If anything it should be easier to replace a dark slide because that can be done with one hand, whereas two hands are normally used when pushing the Readyload envelope back down, one hand to push the envelope and the other to hold down the release mechanism. I'm not sure what relevance a Polaroid holder has to the discussion but FWIW I don't need to buy a Polaroid holder, I already have one. But thanks in any case for the response, I won't go further with this since it's beginning to sound like an argument when all I originally intended was a theoretical question (theoretical because I don't use a rangefinder or hand-hold my camera).

I guess you could say it makes more sense, at least to me, just for a lightweight hand holdable camera like a handy, when you will not be using the GG back.

Granted it does not make a whole lot of difference as something like a cambo back only weighs about 10 ounces, but it does cut down on the bulk a wee bit and makes it easier to get your face up to the viewfinder.

When i had that setup in the photo, I would take it out just like that. Personally I think they are easier to use handheld than normal film holders, but to me a graphmatic is even easier. A pia to load though. Actually a grafmatic clips in too as does the old grphic film pack adapter.

Typically when not using the GG I just will grab some readyloads, clip the back on and go.

I guess its just a shooting preference for hand holding.

Apparently kodak made smooth side holders for a long time, then for a short while made them with the groove and then went back to the smooth sided holder for some reason.

Ok -- I'll go a step further -- I have no idea what stability/rigidity you might have/gain in a hand held camera that you wouldn't have with a 4x5 on a tripod -- go figure. I am thinking that you don't have very much.

However. I am having some fun imagining a world where I am trying to do this shot in the middle of the McLoed river without a tripod to hold on to my camera. As you can see I am about to pull a polaroid from the holder. I could have walked back and sat in the warm truck and processed/looked at my shot, rather than standing next to my tripod in the river.

Film holders, grafmatics, polaroid holders, and I assume readyload holders can be pulled loose when pulling dark slides or film sheets causing light leaks or simular problems; with such locked into place with the graflok sliders they are as solid as the camera back and cannot be disloged easily. Have you NEVER pulled back on a film holder when pulling or inserting a dark slide? That's my angle on it anyway. Happy shooting.

• 4 weeks later...
I too have experienced a similar problem with film backs coming loose. My new 'Razzlok' back addresses this problem. It can be adjusted to allow easy insertion and withdrawal of a holder, or screwed down in seconds to withstand the pull of a 6kg 4x5 monorail!<div>00Erjy-27528484.jpg.dd4cfd315311befcf24860a7474818e4.jpg</div>