Help in choosing a macro lens

larry_leung1

I know I have brought this up (sort of) before. I am thinking of a

macro lens that can double a sa good portrait lens. I am thinking of

the 90mm f/4 Apo-Symmar, 110 f/2 or the 120mm f/4 Planar makro. I

have excluded the 150mm f/4.6 as it needs an extension tube.

Any experience?

Many thanks,

Larry

Larry, still thinking this issue over? Start using your intelligence! 90 mm is nearly a standard

lens. Would you use a standard lens for portraits? The 110 f/2 is a large diameter lens and

therefore not suitable for macro work. (And this lens would need an extension tube in order

to get really close.) We discussed this same issue with the 180 f/2.8, remember? The only

lens that combines your two wishes (macro & portrait) ideally is the 120 Macro Planar. Long

enough not to deform faces, small enough diameter to go really close and a nice long track

which will lower the need for extension tubes. Time to make up your mind.

My 2ᄁ: The 120mm smokes close up. I had a heck of a time doing modeling work with it because it's just too sharp. I really liked the working distance however. Depending on what type of portraiture you're doing, it can give some great effects, but I wouldn't use it in a portrait studio.

I'm speaking of the Hasselblad variety, but I'm sure it's the same no matter what system you're using. The 110 would be a great lens for portraiture as well, though my last experience with one is the 2000 FC some years ago. The wide aperture is great for portraiture. Are you using this on a Rollei system?

<i>I have heard of the 120mm f/4 makro can distort the image if not being careful.</i><br>

Actually macro lenses have very little distortion compared to normal lenses. This is true of 120mm. More true of 150mm lens -- almost zero distortion. 110mm is not a macro, so please do not consider it for that purpose. <br>

The best-overall lens is 90mm, because it does not need extension tubes or bellows for upto 1:2. You need bellows for 120mm and 150mm lens if doing macro work.

Of course, for close portraits 120 does not need any bellows or tubes, and it is very sharp. And gives a decent working distance as well. 90mm is difficult to use at 1:1 because the front element is recessed. Overall, 90mm is one of the finest lenses in any brand available.