My new website!

rob_barker

Hi Rob,

I like the images on your site. I know the joy and frustration of underwater photography. I had a look at your equipment page which I found interesting because I have recently acquired a Nikon D70 and have been thinking about getting a housing for it. Up to now, my underwater photograpy has been done with a Nikonos V with a 35mm and 20mm lens. I have always been happy with this camera and the lenses but I have recently been wanting to make the switch to digital for underwater photography.

I am completely unfamiliar with housings and dome ports. I hope you don't mind if I email you if I have any questions about which port accompanies which lens. Out of the lenses that you list on your equipments page, which would you say is your most used lens? I would like to start by getting the housing, one lens, the corresponding dome port and a strobe. Which brand of strobe are you using?

You can have a look at my underwater photography here: http://www.shanepinder.com/underwater.htm.

Thanks for the kind words Shane.

I enjoyed your work - you clearly have a good grasp of working underwater; exposures are particularly good. It would be well worth you making an investment in a housing for the D70 - I'm sure you'll find it as much of a revelation as I did.

The easiest lens to start with is a 60mm micro-nikkor, although you look like you enjoy wideangle work, in which case the 10.5 or 12-24 Nikkors are awesome.

My most used lens is probably the 60mm, although whenever I think I'll have the subject matter I fit the 12-24 or the 10.5 fisheye. The 12-24 is a delight to use underwater - it's flexible and gives great images - the eagle ray shot on my homepage for example.

The 10.5 is capable of ultimately better quality but it is extreme and difficult to use - you have to get VERY close to your subject and perspective control takes a while to get on top of. I only fit it on special occasions now - it excels at reefscapes but the coral has to be pristine!

I think for a photographer of your ability I'd stick my neck out and say go for a 12-24. If the Nikkor price makes you smart a bit, I've read that the Tokina is very good, but check it will fit (widthwise) into the port you will be using. Go for the Nikkor if you can though.

I use Sea and Sea YS90 Auto strobes. The Auto version is vital as it gives lots of different power settings. The forthcoming YS-110 strobe will do iTTL but you have to use a really clumsy looking module - and in my experience, TTL underwater never worked that well anyway - I've got used to setting exposure manually. I haven't tried the opposition but Subtronic look very cool - just make sure you can get the relevant arm to connect whatever housing you get to whatever strobe you get!

All the best with it and be sure to show us the results!

Rob,

congrats for the idea for the u/w photography forum and your website.

My wife has been taking u/w pics (film) for ages and never got anywhere; that is untill she took a course and that changed a lot.

Last year we went to dive in the Maldives and I bought a Canon S1IS with a housing; big disappointment, but my fault. Most of the pics came out blue. I added a Sunpack flash but that didn't work either as most of the pics were overexposed.

This w-e I am having a red filter attached to the u/w housing and that should help. I probably will buy another stobe. And I intend to take a course later this year. Why this w-e? We're leaving for Cuba next week :-)

If any of my pics turn out OK, I'll upload them and will report on my setup, so other photo-netters don't make the same mistakes.

BTW my wife just bought an u/w housing for her videaocamera (with 2 stobes); will let you know as well.

• 4 weeks later...