Sigma problems with Nikon i-TTL on D200

kfoster70

I have a Sigma EM 140DG ring flash that I have used on by D70 for

over a year with no problems. Now I have a D200, which isnt

compatable with this flash. Sigma has stated that they would fix the

flash free through a firmware upgrade.

Has anyone sent there Sigma flashes back to Sigma for this upgrade?

If so, whats the turn around time?

Thanks,

Kevin

This is not a surprise to me.

I do not know the ring flash, but the other original issue of Sigma flash that claimed compatibilty with iTTL on D70 had so many limitations, and reliability problems. There is more to iTTL than just placing flash on the camera. None of the more advanced features worked, and repeatability of results in plain iTTL on D70 low if impossible. I had to return the Sigma flash, and use only Nikon. Even Nikon original iTTL flashes have some limitations that one will need to discover the hard way, and work within the usability limits.

This was about 2 years ago, by now Sigma possibly leant more abot Nikon iTTL.

Genral advice that I was giving was to use original Nikon flashes, if more sophicticated multiflash setup is considered.

I agree with you 100% that using a Nikon flash is the way to go. I have (1) SB800 and (2) SB600's. But when I was looking for a ring flash Nikon only offered the SB29s which is not compatable with the i-TTL system. So when Sigma offered a compatable flash I bought it. I must say that it worked nicely with the D70, but does not work with the D200 without upgrade. I did buy the new Nikon R1 macro flash system, it is really nice. Its more flexable then my Sigma flash. But I would still like to get the Sigma upgraded.

Believe it or not, but the Sigma flash was compatable with Nikons wireless flash system when using it on the D70. Im hoping that I will be able to use the Sigma ring flash in conjuntion with the R1 system on the D200.