AIS Manual Focus Lenses on Digital Body

bob_emmott

I'm finally considering a Nikon digital camera body to supplement my

faithful F3 cameras. I have a large collection of manual focus AI &

AIS lenses. Are there any medium-priced digital bodies that would

allow accurate focusing with manual lenses? Metering is not essential

as the body would be for studio use & my flashmeter works fine...

First of all, exactly what do you have in mind for "medium priced," $1000, $2000 or $3000, etc.? It is clearer to specify a dollar (or Euro) amount.

Whether a particular body would allow you to focus accurately manually highly depends on your particular eyesight. For example, some people have a lot of complaints about the D70's viewfinder and some people find it just fine. The only way to find out for yourself is to try it yourself.

I think the bodies you probably want to consider are the D70/D70s, used D1X and D2H, and the up-coming D200. The D1X is older (2001) technology and the D2H is limited by 4MP. The D200 ($1700) may fit your needs pretty well, but it won't be available for another month or so.

I am one of those who are NOT satisfied with the viewfinder in the D70. I have no problems at all focusing a 24mm lens on my E screen equipped F2 and have huge problems focusing my D70 with any lens shorter than 85mm. Part of the problem is the type of focusing screen used nowadays, "Britescreens" are horrible for focusing accurately, I even have problems with my F5. It's a simple fact, you really can't beat the "snap" of good old ground glass. They may be 1/2 stop dimmer than the "Britescreens" but it's pretty easy to find the focus point because of the "snap" that the newer screens lack.

However, to make up for the lack of focusing "snap" we now have AF systems that are pretty accurate. We can always use the AF detector to aid in getting the focus perfect. Which leads to my second complaint about the D70. Nikon transplanted the AF system for the N80 into the D70 without any re-design and it results in AF areas that are over large for the format. To put it simply, the AF areas take in way too much background detail and it causes problems with subjects that are small in relation to the AF area. This causes the D70 to be more sensitive to extraneous background detail than any other Nikon AF camera that I have ever used, probably by a factor of 3 or more.

When you combine a poor viewfinder with an AF system that is much too sensitive to background detail you have a combination that can be EXTREMELY frustrating. Much too often I have arrived home to find that some great shots were spoiled by being completely out of focus. When your key point of focus is a nice big target, it works perfectly and you get great results, when it's small, the focus is a total guess and the camera usually guesses wrong. My misses have gone down as I have learned to compensate but I still miss occasionally and it's very frustrating. Unfortunately, the D70 doesn't have enough "zoom" in the image review to allow one to see immediatley when the camera misses slightly, for that you need a computer screen. Bottomline, since your planning to use it in the studio, if you choose the D70, plan on using it tethered and check the focus of every image on your computer's monitor.

I think the best camera for you would be the new D200. It's a second generation design and incorporates lessons learned from the D70's faults. It has an effective veiwfinder magnification of 0.63x compared to the D70's 0.50x, which can only help with achieving focus. It uses 11 smaller AF areas instead of the 5 oversize AF areas of the D70, which means background detail won't be such a problem. It features a coupling system for AI lenses, which means that it will meter with your AI lenses, which the D70 WILL NOT. And lastly, it has a PC sync socket which the D70 lacks. The only problem is that it's going to cost about 1700-1800 USD and using it at 10mp may push you into a new computer system.

I think the plusses for the D200 far outweigh the higher cost and plan on "shelving" my D70 within 5 months in favor of the D200. Once you compare the two, I think you'll come to the same conclusion. The only other issue is the wait until it's on the shelves. You've shot film this long, shooting film for another month or two won't be that hard and the D200 is worth waiting for.

I have had my D50 for about a week, but thought I'd see whether all the rumors about incompatibility with AIS lenses were true. Here's what I've experienced.

I bought the camera with a 18-55mm kit lens. It's reasonably good, though I have more testing to do to see if edge sharpness, etc. is any good--and I have yet to shoot NEF format (but will today). I have experienced some ghosting when shooting into street lights at night, but it could be due to not having a lens hood yet (they don't come with hoods so I had to order one). I really like the flexibility of this zoom! It is very convenient and takes very good shots.

Now for the AIS tests. I have shot with all my AIS lenses with no trouble, including my beloved 45GN Nikkor. Okay, they make the kit lens pale in comparison! Of course there is no auto-aperture, but I was able to set the camera in manual mode and use it just as easily as it was on any of my film Nikons, and what's better, I can instantly see the result of the exposure, and I can manually or auto-bracket the exposures by 1/3 stops. I've had absolutely no problems using my old lenses with manual exposures (though all my lenses are AI, and I can't speak to non-AI... or my 500mm C Nikkor yet).

The only problem I'm having is focusing on the smaller image area (my eyesight isn't what it used to be), but most of my older lenses are f/2.8 or better, so they're a lot brighter than the f/4.5 range of the kit and AF-G lenses. I also tried using my D50 with my 35mm Nikkor and a BR2 reversing ring with spectacular results. It makes me want to do more macro work.

Finally, I just bought the 85mm f/1.8 Nikkor and oh my goodness, what a sharp and beautiful lens, let alone what a gorgeous piece of glass!

It makes it hard to go back to the kit lens, but there are some irresistable rebates right now. I was going to buy either the 70-300 or 55-200 Nikkor, but they don't even have focusing scales, so I'll be buying AF-D lenses from now on. The only reason I bought the D50 was to get me through until a reasonably priced full-frame Nikon digital body comes out... hopefully next year!

Oh, on the subject of studio flash, I've just started playing around with that. Take note that the D50 doesn't come with a flash sync socket, so I had to order (don't have yet) the AS-13? adapter for the hot shoe. But it works fine for my studio strobe system, but for now I have to rig the pop-up, on-camera flash to not affect the studio lighting. The hotshoe adapter (about $15) should solve this.<div>00EKM5-26708584.jpg.00a98cc9c1dfc641cc9192a23b56173c.jpg</div>

Bob,<br>

<br>

My advice is wait for the D200 and make a decision when you can

read reliable reviews (not magazine reviews) from those who pull

no punches. If at all possible get some hands on experience and

know what you are looking for. Have that firmly in mind as you

hand the prospective cameras.<br>

<br>

If you cant wait then consider the D2H. 4.1MP is more

useful than most believe even for general photography. Its

going to be hard to compare 4.1MP to 10.2 and 12.4MP. It is easy

to compare 4.1MP keepers to 6.1MP, Close but no cigars.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.<br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

Given Bjorn Rorsletts appraisal of the D200s

viewfinder I think those finding the D70s viewfinder just

fine are going to shrink to a smaller group here at PHOTO.NET.

I have 20/15 vision corrected (not that bad or good without). I

find the N80 unsuitable for manual focus and the D70 is only

worse due to the DX format and its heavy sharing of N80

viewfinder components.<br>

<br>

The only way I can figure that individual vision makes a

difference is some cant see well enough to know there is a

difference. Others dont setup their camera viewfinders

carefully so they also cant see the difference. Ive

seen some vehemently defend the D70 only to later complain about

the viewfinder. I think many are being defensive about an

expensive purchase of a $300.00 SLR with a rather expensive CCD

inside.<br>

<br>

Its better for those buying a D70 or D70s to have low

expectations to avoid disappointment after the purchase than to

have high expectations or even medium and buy a camera that is

not suitable for their intended purpose. <br>

<br>

One regular here said most of his keepers still come from his

manual focus Nikon SLR(s) rather than his D70. I also received a

note from him off the forum that hinted of this about a year

earlier. Im trying not to be very specific about who said

this. Im not in the business of saying, I told you so.

I hope this is understood.<br>

<br>

The D2X is the obvious choice for many but also too expensive for

most. Others want a lighter camera and the D200 hold a lot of

hope.<br>

<br>

I believe the D70 was rushed to production and the use of N80

parts helped cut the R&D time. I dont know what the

excuse for the N80 finder is other than low price with a

professional appearing feature list.<br>

<br>

To understand my point of view I need critical focus for macro

and telephotos. I also want the best viewfinder I can have for

fast manual focus in moderate to poor light. I shoot PR

professionally in a PJ style years ago with F2(s). Ive

always shot with the best film SLR(s). Nikkormat FTn, Nikon F, F2,

F2 Photomic, F2As F4s, F5.<br>

<br>

With computers Ive always bought behind state of the art. I

bought a IBM PC when the XT was the computer and just

months before the introduction of the IBM AT. Now with DSLR(s)

being heavily computerized I had to buy a D2H rather than a D2X

because of the cost.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

<em>..."Britescreens" are horrible for

focusing accurately, I even have problems with my F5. --Scott

Warn<br>

</em><br>

I have noticed that some lenses are easier to focus a stop or two

closed from maximum aperture than wide open on the F5. This is

done with the DOF preview button. Ive noticed this with and

without the DW31, 6x finder but the 6x finder makes it quite

apparent. At a certain point extra brightness from a larger

aperture results in a smearing of detail rather than more snap. I

was surprised to note this with an 80~200/2.8D ED Nikkor. For

those who prefer older screens installing an F3 Red-Dot, F3 or F/F2

screen in an F5 frame is possible. Its not that hard for

those with the right skills. <br>

<br>

I was advised by a regular here to keep a non-Red-Dot F3 screen

but didnt have one as my F3 is only about 10 years old. I

had two F2, P screens so I did a swap giving me a Red-Dot K

screen for my F2As and non-Red-Dot P screen for my F3/F3HP. I had

a spare Red-Dot K screen also.<br>

<br>

Generally Im very satisfied with the with the F5s

viewfinder but I know what Scott is talking about. I also note

that Bjorn Rorslett uses (or used) his F2 with super speed lenses

due to precisely this issue. This is a known phenomenon and Ive

seen technical explanation here at PHOTO.NET. It can be

mathematically calculated as I recall though I cant explain

it. Perhaps someone will came and give a proper technical

explanation. This is not an issue of difference in vision. Its

hard science.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

Hi Bob,

I also have an F3 w/many AIS lenses. My answer was to buy the D2hs because it has an electronic range finder that shows up as an small dot with an arrow on the left or an arrow on the right while focusing. When the dot is alone in the viewfinder the lens is focused. This will work with my zooms and my primes. The D2h also has this system and would be less money. The D2hs seems to work easily with my knowledge of operating the F3. Since both are pro bodies there are a lot of similarities.