astrophotography lens suggestions

trothwell

All: what's your favorite lens for astrophotography, and why? Sample

pictures with recommended lens(es) would be appreciated.

I'm hoping to hone my skills in astrophotography this summer, and

would certainly consider purchasing a new lens if it would help. I'm

not after getting a particular shot, but just good star pictures in

general.

I use a 5D and (less frequently now) EOS-3.

Thanks!

Bob: sorry, could have been less vague. Initially, I don't plan to use any tracking system, but only a tripod. I also don't plan to spend much time with trails, although I will likely try some a bit.

Primarily what I was wanting to find out were suggestions on focal lengths -- I reckon that I could use any decent lens and get decent results, but what are the virtues of using a wide angle lens vs. a normal lens vs. a telephoto lens? My readings suggest that a longer focal length might be harder to use without a tracking system, as the stars are moving, however slowly, and won't come out as sharp with a longer FL than a shorter one. Yes? No?

So far, I've used a 50mm/1.4 lens almost exclusively in my experiments. Most of my shots haven't been very sharp; I'm sure that some of the reason is operator ineptitude! :-) But I do also wonder if perhaps a different focal length is generally considered better. On the other hand, if someone wants to write back and say, "50mm/1.4 is just as good as anything else, now go learn how to use it!" that'd be fine.

It depends on what you want to shoot.. If you are looking only for star trails, a normal 50mm f/1.8 lens will do.. In case you want to take a picture of moon upclose, you would need a longer lens >=400mm.. Usually for most of the other celestial objects you would need long exposures and that would need a tracking mount to track the motion of the celestial objects..

there is a brief guide to astrophotography by canon (http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/astro/index-e.html) it is not very good but still a good beginners advice.. there are other guides available at www.cloudynights.com

Good luck..

regards

Andy

I read on Bob Atkin's site that Canon produces a camera, the 20D? specifically for astrophotography. Look for the "history" of Canon stuff on his site. The TC-80N3 timer looks really intriging; I read about it on photo.net. This exausts my knowledge of astrophotography.

If you don't want to use any tracking, a shorter focal length lens is generally better (my 35/2 is the first choice in this situation). To get best results, start with the optimal aperture of the lens, which is generally 2-3 f-stops less than the max. Use hyper-focal focus technique to get correct focus, do not just set the lens to infinity. Use a steady tripod as low to the ground as possible, a cable release or timer, mirror-lock-up if available, and short exposures.

• 5 years later...

<p>I like wide angle sky shots showing the milky way, nebule etc. See my astrophotography folder here on photo.net.</p>

<p>Shots I've made, which I like the most are with my Canon 50MM 1.8 on my Canon 5D original, wide open at ISO1250.</p>

<p>I may rent the newer Canon 24MM 1.4L II for my trip to a dark skies location this summer. I hope to capture more Perseid meteors.</p>