consumer bodies.

Realistically, though, I don't do a lot of shooting. For someone who

historically hasn't done more than one or two rolls of film a month,

should I be concerned about the durability of a 350D, or is my usage

not going to be enough to risk real damage? Given that I want to stay

under $1,000 for a body, and I would have to be lucky to get a 20D for

that, should I just suck it up and get the 350D (especially now that

Canon has their rebate going on?)

If you're willing to wait until the first of the year, I'm willing to bet the 20D will be real close to $1000. I havn't felt the 300D or 350D. I do have the 20D and it does feel durable. If I could do it all over again, which I probably will in maybe 2 years, I would get the 5D or one of the 1Ds. The non-pro bodies have such issues with sensor dust. I got sensor dust right out of the box, and from what I hear from other non-pro body Canon owners, they have the same issue. Canon really needs to address this issue.

No need to worry about the construction of the 350D - it's plenty tough enough. OTOH, if you only shoot 1-2 rolls per month, be ready to spend a LOT more than you have shooting film. I think you should try to cost out what a digital move will entail, including memory cards, wider angle lens, spare battery, computer upgrades (more RAM, hard disk, new monitor, colour profiler, photo printer, ink - one of the most expensive liquids on earth - and software). Of course, you may have other reasons for getting a DSLR, but be under no illusions about the costs before you jump in, especially if you feel the budget a bit of a stretch.

Someone mentioned that "non-pro" bodies have more problems with sensor dust. That is

certainly not my experience with my 350D. On the other hand, I've read elsewhere in

forums that the 5D does have such problems. In any case, dealing with sensor dust comes

with the territory with dslr cameras unless you never change lenses.

Bottom line: I wouldn't think of sensor dust as a reason to select one of these options over

the other.

Regarding the durability issue, the use of plastic materials does not necessarily equate

with less durable. In some situations, plastic is more durable than metal equivalents.

In any case, I take my 350D out on the trail a lot and use it frequently and I don't have any

issues with its durability.

Dan, you said "In any case, dealing with sensor dust comes with the territory with dslr cameras unless you never change lenses."

My 20D came out of the box brand new with sensor dust and from reading some thread and talking with other Canon owners, they're having the same issue. Again, Canon needs to take action on this issue. Word spreads fast.

I have my 350D and a friend's 20D lying next to me this moment.

Although the 20D is the better camera in almost every respect, technically there are simply no advantages in a 20D. The differences are mostly in having the feeling of owning and handling a more expensive camera (note that i don't want to say this is not a nice feeling :)

It all comes down to price, are you willing to burn another 500 euros? If the answer is yes, do it, if no, don't do it. It's that simple.

As someone who uses a 350D professionally, it works perfectly except for an occasional

motor drive shift color balance problem (in burst mode it changes WB from frame to

frame). Canon says they are working on a solution. I was just issued a 20D by my

company, and wow, it's a lot of weight and bulk compared to the 350D, especially with the

f/2.8 zooms I use. By the time you add a flash and bracket, the whole package is pretty

chunky, but it doesn't bother me.

For the amount of shooting you do, go for the 350D. I'm selling my 300D, and even

that's worked great for me for two years now (and makes gorgeous 13x17 prints). Have

your prints made at Wal-Mart or Costco and you're in business cheap. I've traveled with

the 300D and 350D extensively and they're both great and would take a lot of physical

shock to harm them.

For all the harping on about sensor dust problems, I can't honestly say it causes me any great issue. Photoshop fixes the very few occasions that it causes a problem - really not worth worrying about unless you're gonna start locking your mirror up when you have a lens off - my understanding is that the shutter curtains are still closed, so if you keep the lens opening down you should be OK.

No Lucas i don't want to start anything here.

I am sure you can come up with some reasonable arguments in favor of the 20D.

But for a lot of people who are asking this question the only viable answer can be: go to a shop and handle both and if you like the 20D more and have the extra cash, go for it.

no secrets, just simple and often very functional diferences in feature set.

higher flash sync, faster max shutter speed, faster frame rate, larger number of focus

points, larger viewfinder mag are some technical differences that come to mind between

the 350 and the 20d.

some or all of these differences may not matter to you of course.

I have no issue with the image quality of the digital rebels but for the shooting I do some

of the above differences are very important to me.

cheers

oops posted at the same time.

I'm nit picking technical differences and not really addressing the original posters question

at all so............

chris, there are some functional differences between the cameras and only you can decide

if they matter to you.

Unless you are very rough on equipment I don't think build quality is going to be an issue

for you with either camera. and as far as I know the lens mount on both cameras is metal.

cheers

The dust "issue" is the same for all digital SLRs. If you change lenses outside, sooner or later, you're going to get dust on the sensor, reagardless of how clean the sensor was when you got the camera. The best way to deal with this is to learn how to clean the sensor yourself. You can try the "sensor brush" system for example. My 20D's sensor was pristine when I bought it, but I've had to clean it about 4 times over the summer. It's not hard to do. The only other SLR manufacturer that has a way of dealing with sensor dust is Olympus, but for those of us with an existing investment in Canon lenses, that isn't going to help.

As for durability, unless you shoot as often as a pro, either a 20D or a 350 is going to last longer mechanically than you will ever need it to. These will all be obsolete in just a few years. Have you ever worn out any camera before? I've come pretty close with my Canon A2E SLR, but I bought that thing back in '94. And now that I have the 20D, it will probably never be used again. So despite not being up to pro specs, the A2E has essentially lasted forever.

Wes

A quick note to Brad ... don't be so sure about not shooting in Kosovo. I don't know why you are going but I was there with NATO and didn't plan to do anything but work. Instead, I wound up buying a camera while there and becoming serious. There are remarkable sites in Pec, Gracinika, and Decani among others. The mountains are incredible. Take your camera if possiblle!

One recurring issue in this common dilemma is how the camera feels in the user's hands. Some, like me, appreciate the small size and lighter weight of the 350D. Others find that it is just too small to hang on to properly. You have to try it yourself.

One other thing is what you're upgrading from. If you're used to a rear control dial you may miss this on the 350D. I missed it for a while, but adapted readily enough.