More Oldies but Goodies

al_kaplan1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The details of my life are quite inconsequential. My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian woman named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.<div>00EDxx-26547684.jpg.dde27f7657419db94bff2db59dd3471e.jpg</div>

Al and I are about the same age. Actually, I'm his elder by one year, so I can tell him when to come home at night! But he won't quit smoking. At least he doesn't drink.

Anyway, when I was scanning these photos they brought back some of my very personal memories of those days...very good memories.

I think that this is one great use of a camera. It records bits of time.

Whether it's a photo of a staircase (like Brad's wonderful Alcatraz photos) or a self-portrait (such as Al's), we all view it from our own special personal history.

When I photographed in the 1960's I used an M3 and a Rollei, and my photography is still much different than Al's. I photographed objects and landscapes, Al photographed people.

We both recorded our personal histories in what we photographed, and those looking at these photographs will relate to them in very personal ways as well, regardless of when they were taken.

As an example I am attaching a photo I took in the late 1970's with a homemade 4x5 view camera and an antique 5 1/2" Paragon lens in an Ilex shutter exposed on Tri-X of a distintigrating AREO Speedwagon truck, on a cattle ranch I leased.

To this day, this photo connects me with that time and that place. It may not do that for you, but may relate to other similar venues in your lives.

Isn't that what photography is all about? For me, photography is a very personal thing.<div>00EDz9-26548284.jpg.f93425f06779fe7bec48d5312691339f.jpg</div>

OT:

Lee, thanks.

I still have my 4x5 (a newer one) and I need to use it more.

I do process the negs myself using the old tray method in HC-110, but I'm now scanning them using a method that gives me total control over contrast, and the black, gray, and white channels, much more than in the darkroom. I am making prints on Epson Heavyweight paper and they are gorgeous! They truly look like silver rich gelatin prints!

The above photo was totally overexposed and just recently was I able to salvage it with PS.

I am convinced that film and digital (PS) can work together just as the "...farmers and the ranchers can be friends..." (^U^)

Thank you again, Todd

Considering the very many e-mails sent directly to me, requesting photo contributions, I must say this:

I have absolutely no digital photographic ability or capability. I have a pre-Pentium 486 computer, running Windows 3.1 with either 16 or

64 Mb of RAM(I forget which). I am a computer illiterate.

My daughter has a cell phone camera which can send fuzzy pictures thru

my computer, but it cannot send pictures of my photos.

Sorry 'bout that.

Jerry

Friends,

I have an interesting idea. Why don't we complete this thread by posting some of our own vintage photos? Leica or not! Whatever...self-portraits, travel, objects, nature...whatever.

Hope you have some, and if you do, show us.

I just obtained about 40 classic photo books from a friend from the 1960's and 1970's, including old Aperture Magazines edited by Minor White, and the images are wonderful!

Please post some of your own personal "classics," and then we can move on to more current images and discussions.