RRS Perfect portrait flash bracket kit

awindsor

I am looking for a flexible flash bracket solution for my 20D. I have

the BG-E2 mounted since I prefer the handling in portrait orientation.

I currently have a Stroboframe Pro-T bracket which works but is bulky

and required me to remove my L plate before I can mount it (and I had

to relocate the mounting screw in order to access the controls on the

grip). I don't have a antitwist plate for the Pro-T which limits its

use since the weight of my 550EX does cause the bracket to rotate.

Furthermore I cannot mount the bracket on my tripod. <P>

I am thinking of buying the Realy Right Stuff Perfect Portrait kit. It

consists of the MPR-CL (a double dovetail rail with a QR clamp at one

end) and the B87-B flash bracket.<P>

The advantage I see is that the bracket is flexible (you can slide the

braket forward and backward along the rail) so I could use if for both

a macro flash bracket, with a better beamer for telephoto shots, and

for portrait use. It will mount on my L-plate and on my lens plates

and still allow me to use my tripod. <P>

The downsides are the steep price, the fact the bracket doesn't extend

through a full 270° making it impossible to mount two flashes on

opposite sides of the lens, and the fact the flash does no maintain

the same orientation as the sensor in flash mode. <P>

Like the Stroboframe brakets the RRS bracket positions the flash

forward of the camera. My <b>question</b> to those that have used this

flash bracket is how it balances when used handheld? It seems like you

can move the flash support bar back almost until it strikes the camera

without interfering with holding the camera in either orientation. <P>

Anyone have any alternative suggestions. I remember looking at the

Kirk brackets but they are not nearly as flexible (though they are

substantially cheaper).

<I> the fact the flash does no maintain the same orientation as the sensor in flash mode.</I><P>

Translating this to English it should read "the fact the flash does not maintain the same orientation as the sensor in <B>portrait orientation</B>." This means that even though the long side of the sensor is vertical the long side of the flash is horizontal. My flash produces sufficient power, and I either bounce the flash or use a diffuser, so that I don't anticipate this being a problem.

I have a Custom Brackets CB Digital-S where all corks have been removed. The AT plate is mounted in the front, RRS B21 plate on the bottom. This way, I can keep all RRS plates on the cameras when using the bracket. The original camera mounting screw has been replaced with the standard RRS screw plus a proper oversize washer so that I don't have the remove the B21 on the bracket when switching cameras. If you need something taller, seek for CB Digital-T. BTW, you need either FT-JR or CN-JR to mount the flash, depends on which you prefer. The downside is, the camera grip is pointing down when shooting vertically. Their CB Junior solves this problem, but sadly it doesn't take the AT plate so you cannot keep the RRS plate on the camera (because it will twist).

www.custombrackets.com

How fast does the RRS bracket change from landscape to portrait? The Pro-T is 'instant.' I'm not answering your answer directly because I have not used the RRS bracket (although I'm a big RRS fan).

If you otherwise like your Pro-T, this may be of interest: I created an enhanced Press-T. It has an RRS lever release clamp for the camera, a Stroboframe anti-twist plate, and an RRS plate on the bottom for tripod mounting -- all off the shelf.

I haven't tried this combo with a vertical grip (and it really would require a Pro-T for clearance). I suspect that the bracket would interfere with the use of the vertical grip.

I have used this setup with my D100 and RRS L-bracket (but without vertical grip). Of course, the RRS clamp and plate together cost nearly twice what I paid for the Press-T. Works fine though -- solid with no rotation.

Ultimately, the whole setup can be bulky and clumsy. It also restricts the flash modifiers one can use because of the change in flash orientation when changing between portrait and landscape. [To verify this simply, just add a Sto-Fen pointing straight up in landscape. Flip to portrait. Where is the Sto-fen pointing? Towards the right.]

Lately, I've been using something that has simplified my life while producing great results: Joe Demb's Flip-It! flash reflector (http://www.joedembphotography.com/flipit/ ). Naturally, one size may not fit all, but this solution is amazingly good, versatile, simple, and inexpensive. Please understand that I have no business interest in this, I'm just a very satisfied customer. I learned of the Flip-It! here on the wedding forum.

Thanks Guys,

I hadn't considered Custom Brackets. I will have a closer at look at their offerings. They seem similar to the Stroboframes.

Brackets are really useful for flash photography when you can't bounce. If you can bounce then the white card works really well.

I now have one more question to anyone who has used this bracket (if there is anyone). Does the MPR-CL interfere with your wrist when holding the lens (I put one hand under the lens and one hand on the grip) ?