I'm not familiar with the Martin Evening book but I have the Scott Kelby book and I have never been disappointed with his books. WHy?

1. I think that, in general, he offers a good mix of beginner and advanced knowledge, along with some useful little tricks.

2. He goes through things step by step and explains each procedure from the beginning. So, you can pick up and start anywhere in the book if you want to experiment with something.

3. He usually offers quality pictures with everything in color. It makes the books cost a bit more but there is nothing worse than reading a section on color management with B & W pictures!

4. He is that rarest of creatures, an actualy skilled and funny technical writer.

Bill Foster says it all in this thread about the Kelby book. Well, I do have something to add.

The Kelby book is just plain entertaining, making it easy reading. Never boring. But the paradox is that it's a great reference manual also.

It's laid out based on what you want to do, not what this tool does. That is, you want to do this to your image? Here's how.

Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with the Martin Evening book.