3rd pary softboxes Vs "real" softboxes

How many people use elinchrom softboxes on elinchrom heads? How about Bowens on

Bowens heads etc...<p>

do you think that they make any noticeable difference (other than slight design differences

eg, elinchrom's rotalux speedring)...particularly to the quality of light..<p>

...... the difference they have to my wallet is clear :-) does someone here own both a cheap

one and a really expensive one.. maybe you can post the results from each?<p>

thanks

Starting out a long time ago I went with Photoflex. Never needed to try anything else because they work very well and do exactly what I need/expect. If using Elinchrom makes you a better visionary/technician of our craft... spend the money. I'm not saying this trying to be arrogant or mean or anything else. A softbox from Elinchrom may be "matched" to their system but a softbox is a softbox is a tool. Truth in advertising on the other hand... well, isn't that more visible in our field (know where I'm going with that?). Now, the difference between a Mola and a 4' softbox... that is another story.

I have a couple of used Photoflex softboxes which work fine for me. But, when I can afford it I plan to get Larson softboxes.

I read somewhere online a review of softboxes - comparing the high end ones with cheaper ones. The writer noticed that the cheaper softboxes start to cast a yellowish hue instead of a true white hue after time. For me that is a big deal, as digital capture can be yellowish or reddish at times anyway. I've noticed that one of my softboxes (I bought them both used) does have more of a yellow hue - if that helps at all.

The better 3rd party modifiers (except hard reflectors) are better than all except the most expensive OEM modifiers. Every manufacturer makes a relatively (to them) low budget line of modifiers, and the better 3rd party modifiers are superior.