How does one tell if a 180mm f/2.8 APO is capable of using the 1.4x extender?

I know that later production models of the 180mm f/2.8 APO Elmarit R will work with the

1.4x extender, but I am curious as to how to tell whether my particular lens will work.

Looking at the rear, the rear glass is recessed about 1cm from the top of the rom contacts. I

did not buy the lens new, so I am not sure if it was made after the change. If anyone has an

idea as to how to determine this, I would appreciate it. I am considering in investing in a tele-

converter, and I think a 250mm f/4 APO sounds better than a 360 f/6. Also, it is easy to find

fairly cheap Leica 2x converters, but no old 1.4x will fit (or at least I don't think so...). I figure

I will use a 2x less often, so getting an older one would be a better buy than the new APO

version. Anyway...if anyone has the low-down on this I would love to hear it.

Hi Stuart, wasnt aware that there were several versions to the 180F2.8 APO elmarit. I have one and can test it out with my old 1.4 apo extender (its the one that was made for the older 280F2.8 apo telyt). What is the serial number of your 180?

Cheers,

Paul

The current 180mm f/2.8 APO has been redesigned to take the 1.4x apo extender by

moving the rear element back a bit. There is nothing on the lens to indicate which version

it is. I guess if you feel metal scraping against glass when mounting the 1.4x then you have

the early version :)