X-Rays in Heathrow...screw it...what can you do...advice for you!

cimino55

Bill, unfortunately the fogged film was a while back and I always just throw away film/slides that are less than great (physical storage space is too limited for me); I suppose if anyone wants to do an experiment, one can just mark a film canister with permanent marker and let that through the carry-on X-ray (unprotected) at the airports of your choice to see what happens. However, they are liable to change machines from time to time.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing the "Film Safe" sticker on ANY X-ray machine during recent trips...

Angus - at a rough count in the last few years I have gone through over 15 European airports out of all 4 London airports with never less than 10 rolls of film and not one single case of fogging that I could see - in all instances they were taken as carry on hand luggage and not checked in luggage. On a couple of occasions I have asked about hand inspections and have been told ( politely ) that it was available if I was carrying very fast film of 1600asa and above.

In all the threads on this there has never been one instance of anyone posting examples of a fogged film, which is why I asked.

As for stickers on machines I cannot comment as I have stopped looking.

Dear Bill,

Absolutely. I once TRIED to get some Delta 3200 through as many machines as possible on one trip: London Heathrow, Goa, Bombay, Goa again. Not a problem.

But I still try for a hand search when available. It IS cumulative (Ilford research) but flying Concord(e) was more dangerous than the Heathrow X-ray machine.

I have yet to find any evidence than the machine can be turned up but I have seen the luggage rewound, passed, rewound again, etc. Luqa (Malta) was clearly unfamiliar with 120. Still no damage after several passes.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)