Scanning and Editing Simultaneously?

LIke was said you need to use stand alone scanning program and not through the import

scan function in PS. Can you open your Silverfast on its own, outside of PS? Do that and edit

away. I do it all the time using either Silver fast for an Epson flat bed or or the Nikon Scan for

my film scanner.

Good luck

Jon, the answer to your redirected question is NO. Photoshop is not a multithreading application. The correct solution to what you wish to accomplish is "use SilverFast as an independent application."

There is a Utility you can download from the SilverFast website that does exactly that. It opens Photoshop plugins as an independent programs. You can also open TWAIN versions of SilverFast in other applications at the same time you use Photoshop. That's not very useful unless you have something else that creates standard image files.

Scanning uses all of the computer's processor it can. If you use Photoshop at the same time, both will be very slow while Photoshop is crunching. The scanner will pick up again between key strokes.

Like everybody said.

I do this all the time. Just avoid twain, use the stand alone app for your scanner, etcetera.

If possible, use firewire connection, much less (or no) slowdown of either app., compared to usb, 2.0 or whatever.

With my fanaticism for focus, I always have PS open during the scanning, to review focus of the scans as they complete. And when that's done, if I have the time, I sometimes do some cleanup, crop and rotation.

When you download an update version for your version of Silverfast, you will usually be presented with the option to download either "SilverFast application (with PhotoShop Plug-in Option)" or "Twain". If you download "Silverfast Application," you will then have the ability to launch via a stand alone application or through Photoshop as a plug-in.

<p> Doug<p>

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mainintro.html">Dougs

MF Film Holder for batch scanning of 120/220 medium format film with flatbeds</a>