hasselblad 500C/M flash

maddog50

Hi, Ive looked for this and cant find itin th archives. With the

above setup Im looking for a flash that i can either put on the cold

shoe of my 45 degree finder or on a bracket. I dont know exactly

what i need eg cables and such I have read about the Sunpak 120J

I dont have TTL Would like to be able to use indoors or out for

fill flash Thanks Mark

You can use any flash that can be triggered from a PC cable (to the Hasselblad lens). A flash with an "Auto" mode detects light reflecting from a subject and adjusts the power of the flash accordingly (by quenching the flash). To use auto mode, you set the ISO and f/stop in the flash, and the same f/stop on the lens. Otherwise you set the aperture according the the distance using a guide number for the flash.

I've used Nikon SB-28/80/800 flashes (insulate the cold shoe with tape), an old Graflex Strobo IV, a Quantum T4d and others. I haven't used a Sunpak 120J. It's similar in function (not power and build quality) to the Quantum. The bare-bulb option and round reflector are very desirable features.

The Sunpack 120J is a "universal" flash, and reasonably sophisticated for its price range. I expect it can be used as you wish, but you need specifics from the manufacturer or a vendor. In any case, you don't need a TTL module.

What Edward said. The 120J Auto Pro is what you'd need. You can get it used cheaply but be sure that it is a newer model that has the wider auto aperture. For instance, mine, which is older, for ISO 400 has f 11, 16 and 22 for auto aperture choices. The newer ones have f5.6, f11 and 16 for auto apertures. The other thing you need is an attachment foot as the Auto Pro doesn't come with a cold foot. These can be gotten cheaply as well. If you buy it new it comes with a sync cord, which is actually a variant of a regular household to PC cable. If you get it used and it doesn't come with one, you can get a regular replacement.

A Vivitar 285 would work as well and has 4 auto apertures. Some Metz models give you more auto apertures. I have an old Metz 40MZ1i, which, with the regular foot, acts as an auto flash unit with 8 or 9 auto apertures.