International copyright

If I register my photos in the US, would that grant me the same

protection in other parts of the world? Are there copyright

agreements between the US and other countries that would extend that

protection to those other countries if someone used my photos there?

I am wondering specially if I would have to register all my images

also with the European Union copyright office (I am assuming there

is a central office that would cover all EU countries) to get the

same extra protection that having photos register at the copyright

office brings here.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

I believe copyright in USA was for 100 years, while in many European countries it was only 50 years, for published matters.

For example some sheet music 50+ yeras old can be copied freely in Europe while it is still protected in the USA. This was already exploited by some enterprising venturous people.

USA has no jurisdiction in other countries, although it may seem like it to some in the USA. USA cannot enforce copy protection there, or anything else to that matter...

European Union cannot agree on their constitution yet, and I doubt that there is a common office for all member countries to enforce the copyright. Individual countries have proper offices for that, and perhaps would not that easily relinguish their rights and profits.

Most countries - a few notable and profitable exceptions - are members of the Berne Convention, as is the US How that is implemented depends on the country and their own laws but for the most part copyrights are internationally observed. That's not to say there aren't differences but you'd need to explore the various countries concerned to see what the differences might be.

IF your home country copyright formalities are fully met (such as registration and or deposit of copies) - AND - your home country is a Berne signatory, the works are protected in all Berne countries. There is no central EC registration system... in the UK and Ireland (Republic of), for example, there is not even a national copyright registration system. Merely creating the work gives it full protection - as long as you can prove your interest in it as the creator / author.

Hunter