Slide Developing and Mounting - Where? Prices?

scottl

Hi,

I am just about to get started shooting medium format slides, and I

have a few questions. Do most photographers have their 120/220

slides developed and returned unmounted and then mount select

slides, or is it easier just to have a lab do it all? Which is more

economical? Also, what is a good mail-order lab for medium format E-

6 dev and mounting?

I am shooting 645. What is a good, lower price mount for that size

slide?

Thanks,

Scott

I don't have my slides mounted at all, especially not medium format. It's all shot with the intention of scanning and in most cases you do not want to mount your slides if you plan to scan them. If you project your medium format slides and need the mount for that then you can buy e.g. Gepe mounts for your slides.

My favorite local E6 processor closed this past year, so I, too, am looking for alternatives. I've been shooting digital mostly of late, but want to get my 6x7 out again this Winter.

To answer your question, I never had my MF slides mounted, they were always returned in strips enclosed in plastic sleeves.

I prefer my 35mm slides mounted, cardboard, mostly because my slide scanner likes them that way.

I don't think anyone will mount your slides for you. Gepe probably makes the best mounts & they're not ridiculously expensive- especially on certain online auction sites. The projector on the other hand will likely set you back a good deal- especially for a nice magazine-style projector. But seeing your slides projected is just about priceless. And yes, if you want them scanned, have it done before you do the cutting/mounting.

I have stopped mounting my own. My sources for self adhesive cardboard mounts have dried up. Inkjetart.com still lists them but they are out of stock. They will not answer my questions about whether they intend to renew their inventory in the future. It's a shame. Mounts offer protection for handling and through the mail submissions.