I've posted new HOLGA pix in my gallery

Please note that I did not make direct remarks on your images. (And)My images have nothing to do with your posting, which you put up to discuss your situation as you perceive it to be. I replied to the contrary with a different viewpoint and the replies show I was close to the target of the real issue. Should your images get better ratings and better remarks just because you used a Holga? (Which, regardless of BIAS pro or con is NOT a well made device) This is the question I pose to you, and I think it might help you reflect on what you really want out of photography. (Many great photographers have died unhappy and very poor) I know some folks who are skilled with this equipment, and know how to get a pretty good image with it, but that takes compositional skills and technical skills as well. I recommend you check out Mike Connealy's site that has some decent images made with a pinhole camera at http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=508477 (BTW there are HUNDREDS of people of this netsite who have just purchased the LATEST digital camera at great cost and they ALSO feel that their pictures are the greatest and the best because of their equipment.

I love the color in your work, Kim. The self-portraits are powerful and I think they show the sign of a genuine artistic vision which is maturing. There's an interesting comparison to be made between the photos of the dolls and the garish self-portraits. Who knows where it will lead?

I wouldn't worry so much about the people who don't like your work. It seems like you take it personally, or even that you're looking for a fight sometimes in your comments...or >GASP< you're looking for an actual dialogue with fellow artists. The latter is a good thing, but hard to find on a consistent basis on the web. The problem with dialogue on the web is that many of us don't have the same assumptions (or the same books for that matter) so that we end up having meaningless diagreements. Ah...I'm probably boring you...:)

Great work, keep it up!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As photographers we use cameras as a tool. the Holga is a tool

just as much as hasselblad or a linhof. They all take

photographs and they all produce somthing different. I have all of

the above. My holga is just as important to me as my Lihof.

The problem with this site is your asking geeky half wits to rate

your work. Mate if you love what you do then go for it. Ive lost my

will to live with this site. there are some real losers that use it

and Im positive one of them will read this post and pick me up

on my spelling and this and that.. Go and get lives people and

stop hating people that try somthing different.

I've realized that disabling ratings and asking for critique instead is much more beneficial to my work. The rating system on this site should go. I have seen so many great images with low ratings and so many images with high rating that in IMO don't deserve their high numbers.