Moderators: Chicago pictures removed?!

Nathaniel,

the photos were wonderrful.

Look forward to seeing them on the S & D forum. You shouldn't have to do this, but you

may wish to include a statement with the post that the photos are posted for their

journalistic value and not intended to make a political statement or provoke a flame war.

Hopefully the trolls will get the message and leave it alone.

regards,

"Nels _ Photo.net Patron, mar 20, 2006; 06:28 p.m.

"No we are not cut off, yes we listen to the radio, read the newspapers and browse the web."

Then why no TV? I am genuinely curious, Mike."

Hi Nels,

getting further OT but it's that sort of thread:

We have 2 children now 14 and 18. About 6 years ago television was becoming a source of conflict they wanted to watch all the time and we found ourselves arguing about homework, helping around the house...

One day my usually very calm wife dropped the TV out of the second storey window onto the road - I think she wanted to demonstrate to the kids that she was serious!! Luckily nobody was below!

Since then we have come to love the time to play instruments, talk, read, discuss photos, develop film, listen to music...We have broadband so the kids get to surf the net and they discuss "popular culture" with their friends. We watch movies on the laptop or at the cinema.

It's not a "cause" for us, we don't want to sell the idea to others. It just happens to work for us at the moment.

Regards

Mike

Mike, Thanks for a candid response. Always helps to know what people's motivations are behind such an odd decision.

"One day my usually very calm wife dropped the TV out of the second storey window onto the road - I think she wanted to demonstrate to the kids that she was serious!! Luckily nobody was below!"

Did you at least get a good shot or three of the "occasion" that you can share? I'm sure it was a Ko.... er...Leica moment.

"develop film"

Your kids will never forgive you for that, Mike. Train them for their tomorrow, not for your fantasy of tomorrow.:-)

<p>If you can find somewhere else to host the pictures, then you'd be most welcome to post a thread including and about them over <a href="http://nelsonfoto.com/phpBB2/index.php">here</a>.</p><p>NB that forum has very strict rules of its own, but they seem to be applied fairly and you're spared the ads from goooooooogle and the other commercial noise.</p>

Hi Nels,

we're way off topic here but in for a penny. It's interesting that you find our decision "odd" it seems sane to us. Unfortunately no photos I wasn't there.

As for training them for their tomorrow. I think that film is a great medium for developing a visual language - how they choose to use that visual language is up to them. You could as well use pen and paper, Adobe Freehand....

Best

Mike

It is true that one worked-up troll can ruin a thread. Esp., if someone "takes the bait". I'm sure some people do it (troll)on purpose.

If it reaches the point where people are either writing long OT dissertations, or insulting each other, I guess the moderators have no choice.

Right when I joined this site, the debate over whether (& why, & when) to invade Iraq was in full flight. Boy did people get worked up! I'm sure Tony & Co. lost inches on their fingers from hitting the delete button. If the Leica forum were held in a Rathskellar instead of online, bottles, glasses, & pitchers would've been flying everywhere.

I don't know about others, but I hope for emotional responses to my photographs. It strikes me as strange that, on a photography forum, discussion of reactions is censored. If I don't want to read or otherwise participate in a thread, I can simply click the "back" button. How can one separate the photo from the emotional reaction? Isn't that what photography is supposed to be all about?

Conflict is a natural human condition. Why pretend it doesn't exist? And, what are the motives behind those deletions? In case you've had your head in the sand, the entire world is actively questioning the U.S. administration's policies - and photographers are recording it. I welcome a spirited dialogue on their photographs and I certainly don't mind hearing from those with differing views.

Couldn't moderators focus on deleting the ad hominem attacks while leaving the substantive postings?

I'll add my WTF to the moderators. This is seriously good stuff Nathaniel...if not worthy of the Leica forum, than I don't know what.

SO MODERATORS, WTF GIVES...at the least, as someone suggested the photos could have been left and all the comments deleted. If you're too busy to do that (what...2 or 3 minutes) to keep photos of this quality (seriously lacking on this forum at times) then you should put out the call for more help moderating. Or at least give us a reason. Those of us who PAY for this site deserve an answer.

<I>"Mr. Rowlett, Would you be so kind as to explain why this thread was deleted?</I>

<P>

About six years ago he was hit on the head by a TV that mysteriously fell out of a second-story window. His memory ain't been so good since...

• 4 weeks later...