I've started through my slide collection again, having hopefully

resolved various issues. I usually retain my old efforts for

comparison, at least short term. I've added a folder to my portfolio

called 'Scanning Progress', with (so far) one example of before and

after. The things I've attempted to do and/or improve on:

1. improve focus

2. minimize crop

3. calibrate scanner

Please have a look, would appreciate comments.

Mendel,

1) I don't see a difference in focus. If you see one, it may have to do with the greater density of one color in your newer scan...? The photo itself appears to have depth of field issues (unsharp toast in both images).

2) Yes, you've minimized crop. Is this an issue with Minolta? It's a simple option, using Vuescan with Nikon V. I include about 1mm of film surrounding the frame with most scans, but that's simply a setting isn't it? I don't know your Minolta scan software.

3) I don't understand how calibration of scanner can be evaluated meaningfully by seeing two good, but slightly different color balances (your two scans may be separated by 5CC Blue / Yellow)...

I assume a little post-processing will help virtually every scan. I don't know why it's thought desirable for the scan to produce a "perfect" screen image. I can almost always very closely match or improve the screen image with one visual correction after a small proof print: leftover technique from darkroom technique in dinosaur times. Since I find many/most scans improved by a little USM or smart-sharpen in post processing, it makes intuitive sense to perfect color correction there, rather than at the scanner.

Am I missing something? (inevitably, d'oh!)

John, re:

1. Yes, obviously focus is not (unless grossly off) noticeable at this small size. If you read the tech details of the first image in that folder, I've noted that. You just have to take my word for it ;o

2. I've minimized crop by remounting, that's all.

3. I was thinking to post a third issue, to make a pure apples-to-apples comparison: scan-from-disk of the latest (same) raw file, all same settings in Vuescan Color tab, except using "built-in" for profile. Anyhoo.

For your info, all scan-from-disks were with .02/.02 wp/bp and white balance.