Nikkor lenses

nuria_tomas

hi

I'm new in the forum. I have a manual Nikkon FM2 with a lens nikkor

40 f/1.8. I've been using it for 13 years with no other lenses, no

filters, no flash.

I want to buy new lenses (85 mm). As far as I know, AF nikkor lenses

are for autofocus . Do the AF nikkor lenses match with the FM2

camera? What lenses do I have to look for?

And what kind of flash can I use with the camera?

thank you

As long as you look at fixed focal lenghts, all AF-Nikkors except the 10,5mm DX will match. With zooms stay away from G-lenses.

With flash you have several options. An excellent small option is the SB30, but if you require swivel head and more power the SB24,-25,-26,-28,-80 are good options. Something in between would be the SB20 or -22.

New to flash? I hope you don't mind a quick tip or two.

For fill flash, keep the flash near the camera (hot shoe is fine) and dial in -1 or -2 stops on the flash. This will preserve the shadow patterns of the dominant light source but will lessen the contrast of the scene (lightens the shadows but still preserves the shadow pattern).

For flash as the dominant light source, move the flash off of the camera (you'll need a cord). For portraits, try starting with the flash at 45 degrees above and 45 degrees to the side of the subject. And make sure that the subject turns a bit towards the light and not away from it. Also make sure you observe the patterns of light and shadow on faces. Small changes can result in very different images, so experiment.

Good luck.

Robert

How did you arrive at a desire for an 85mm? Have you used one? It's a lovely focal length (one of my favorites / most used), but one 'theory' of building out a lens kit would say it is too close in focal length to your 50mm. Many of us (but not all) tend to 'skip' every other common focal length. Put another way, I'm a 24/35/85 kind of guy, and I've met many others who are more like 28/50/105. Not an absolute, but something to think about.

If you're considering an AF lens, your search will probably lead you to the 85/1.8 AFD. Long time readers of this forum will know that I praise this lens often as one of the best 'bang for the buck' current AF lenses. Having said that, it would not be a first choice for me for use on an FM. The build on that AF lens is pretty light, and the focus ring is very light and too 'quick' for my tastes. I personally use the 85/1.4 AIS on my manual focus bodies. That may or may not be more than you care to spend; KEH.com has one right now for $399 in 'bargain' shape. I'll let somebody else advise you on the 85/2 or 85/1.8 manual focus lenses as I have not personally used them and there is a great wealth of opinion on which one is better and why.

Getting back to my original point, you may be well served by the legendary 105/2.5 AI or AIS instead. A nice companion lens to the 50mm focal length.

What Todd said.

If you are planning to upgrade to an autofocus body in the future, buy AF lenses (except G or DX-type), if not, I really recommend to stick with manual focus lenses (they are cheaper, and bar a few exceptions, much easier to focus manually).

I own the 85mm f/2 because I could not afford the f/1.4. Reviews of the 85/2 are mixed, perhaps I am lucky since I seem to own a very good sample, never had anything to complain about, quality (build and optical) is great. I also have the 105/2.5 mentioned above, and it's a miracle. It's an amazing lens. See which of the two focal lenghts suits you the best.

If you're looking for something wide-angle, I and a lot of others will recommend the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S, perhaps the best wideangle lens (for film) Nikon has ever produced (certainly better than other AI or AF 28mm's).

Are you specifically looking at AF lenses for some reason? Have you played with any of them in a store or anything?

If you plan to keep/stick with your FM2 you certainly don't need to pay for an AF lens. Also, many (most?/all?) AF lenses have a less than desireable feel to the focus ring compared to manual lenses. I usually find them to be a little less precise and sloppy to manually focus.

If you don't need an AF lens now or in the very near future I suggest sticking with some nice used manual focus lenses...there are a plethora of them on the market now for good prices and I suspect you'll be more satisfied with them for the above stated reasons than you will be with an AF lens.

--evan

I agree w/ Todd's comments about the 85 being too close to the 50. The 105/2.5 is tad longer, giving you a bit more reach, and is an exceptional lens. Do tell...why autofocus for FM2, unless you're entertaining an AF body as well? Have you also given consideration to something wider for a second lens, e.g. 28mm? For many that would be a logical progression after 13 yrs w/ a 50mm, not to say we all march to the same beat...just a little food for thought.

I have an 85mm f/2 AI lens and it seems to perform nicely. I don't have any othet 85mm Nikkors to compare it with but I do have an 85mm f/1.8 Konica Hexanon and an 85mm f/1.8 Canon FDn. All three are very nice. If you don't need theextra speed of the 85 I would consider a 105. I have two versions of the 105mm f/2.5 Nikkor. The 105mm f/2.5 Nikkors are also very good for portraits but typically cost less than the 85s.

Let's see. You shoot film (yikes, so do I).

You have a 50 mm lens.

You're wondering what to do next.

My 1977 Nikon guide to photography (the way I read it) recommends the 35, 50, 85 and 105 for people, portraits and travel photography.

My 1983 Nikon guide to photography says an ideal 4 lens kit is a 24, 35, 85 and 105.

After using about 80 different Nikon lens types, I find, after all is said and done, that I mostly use a 24, 35, 85 and 105; followed by a 50 and 180.

Why did it take me so long to find out what Nikon told me nearly 30 years ago?