available light so naturally the new advancements in ISO sensitivity

in EOS Digital bodies are IMHO the most important advantage Canon has

over it's competition. The ability to change ISO with fractional

increments introduces new options for the photographer. With the

20D,5D and MKII bodies now exhibiting very good quality up to 1600ISO

I almost wonder if it would be useful for canon to add an I mode to

it's shooting modes (AV,TV,P...)

The user would select prefered shutter speed and aperture and the

camera would match it with apropriate ISO to make the shot happen.

Don't think that it would be too useful in the current camera generation. A range from 100-1600 ISO gives only an exposure control range of 4 EV. This is not much, you would often run into conditions where your preselected AVTV needs to be changed to get a correct exposure. Therefore it is not really more convenient than settig ISO manually.

Ulrich

The 5D (like the 1D series) allows to set the sensitivity by increments of 1/3 of a stop (100 125 160 200 250 320 400 500 640 800 1000 1250 1600).

A straight Iv more would be pretty harsh, but having options in "creative" mode to tell the camera how to balance Av, Tv and Iv as a function of Lv would be nice.

Yes this would be nice but one can live quite easily without it. For example if there is low light and I want to freeze motion I know I need high ISO and large aperture so I preset these before shooting.

Speaking about the 20D all time viewfinder/top LCD display of the current setting would be most useful though. Maybe a dedicated ISO button as well. How much $$$ do I need to drop for a Canon DSLR that has these features?

I've been told by Nikonians that they already have such a mode.

It would be useful, but only if ISO was continuously variable (or at least in 1/3 stops. With 1 stop steps you'd be in trouble with exposure.

I think the EOS DLSRs do use limited variable ISO in some of the "idiot" modes, but of course they also pick shutter speed and aperture for you as well.

Yeah, I think the D200 is supposed have this feature (or something very similar). I see how some people might find it really useful. But personally, I don't think I'd have a use for it and think it would just be another function/mode/button that would clutter the user interface. Having it certainly wouldn't make/break a camera for me, but it wouldn't be on my wish list of things to add.

I'd use a mode like this so long as you had a safety switch CFn. and could choose either Av or Tv to make the switch. I would call the mode 'Mi' or 'Mv'...maybe 'ATv'

I would not want lower ISO speeds than 100 *if* it were at the cost of any added noise.

<p>The D70 has this, or something similar, as I learned last year while I was trying to teach a friend how to use her new camera.</p>

<p>Sure, I'll vote for this mode. I think safety shift should be expanded to have the option of adjusting ISO rather than shutter speed or aperture, and to me, that would be more useful. The noise levels are much better in newer bodies than in older ones, but still, when you get up towards the top end of the ISO scale, bumping up the ISO a stop is, to me, a last resort, which is more along the lines of what safety shift is and less along the lines of what Av and Tv are.</p>

<p>Canon's DSLR engineers are, for some reason, stuck in the film paradigm, where ISO isn't something you adjust from one shot to the next, and they really need to get their heads around this digital thing. Put it in the viewfinder and put it back as an option on the SET button.</p>

Aside from sports I think it could also be useful in available light street photography. For example if I'm shooting a place where I measure 2.8 at 1/60 @ 400iso I might want to keep the 2.8 even though it might shift if I move my framing into a slightly darker area. If I had this proposed feature I might get bumped up two stops in the ISO and still take acceptable shots at my preffered setting.

<i>Put it in the viewfinder </i><p>

The 5D displays ISO in the viewfinder. You have to press a button to see it, but it's still really nice and very easy to adjust while metering/composing. I'll bet every DSLR that Canon comes out with in the 20D range or up will also do have this functionality or more.