Modification to 35mm f2.8 PC, s/n <906200

joe_adnan

I was recently given custody of an old 35mm f2.8 PC-Nikkor. Its

serial number is smaller than 906200. From the various Nikon manuals,

it seems that this lens can't be mounted on some of the bodies that I

have: D70s, F80, F70.

Questions:

1. It appears that the lens can be modified to fit the newer Nikon

bodies. Can anyone confirm this? What does the modification entail?

Any idea of likely costs? I will, in any event, take this lens in to

the local Nikon service centre, but wanted to be fore-armed with the

collective wisdom of photo.net.

2. Does anyone know if the lens can be mounted on a Nikon FM without

modification? (Note that this is the original FM -- not the FM2 or

FM2n.)

Thanks for reading,

Joe

I have a 35mm f=2.8 PC. I'm not sure about the series number, I can check later today, but it is defintely old.

This lens I mount without problem on my D70, as well as my Kodak SLR/n. Maybe I shouldn't, but it works for me, so why not? The only thing is that it can only be mounted when the aperture is set to 2.8 (full). It took me some time before I understood this.

Jakob

Interestingly, according to <a href="http://web.mit.edu/cai/www/nikon/FMspec.html">this link</a> the meter coupling lever of the FM can be folded up to mount non-AI lenses. Presumably this means that the unmodified 35mm PC lens can be mounted safely? This is not the case with the FM2, as I see from the Nikon Field Guide that my lens is not compatible with this later iteration of the body.

I have checked now. Mine has number 882xxx, so it should be of this earlier type.

I do not understand why it can't be mounted on the D70, but I am sure I am missing something. Can someone explain?

Anyway, I guess I will continue to use it on my own risk unless there is a very good reason not to do it.

Jakob

http://www.fotoverkstan.se

This lens can be mounted safely on an FM, by folding up the meter coupling lever. No

meter coupling is necessary or possible on this lens, because you do the metering by the

stop-down method. The lens will work on other bodies with similar levers, like the F3 and

any non-AI body.

I have this lens (878xxx) and can tell you it may mount on certain bodies that it is

technically not supposed to work on. For example I used mine several times on an FM2

before I learned that is not correct. The FM2 meter coupling lever has a slight bit of flex,

which allowed the lens to mount and operate, I suspect there are other similar cases, but

this sort of thing is done at your own risk!

Whether it would mount and work on a body like the D70 that lacks a meter lever I don't

know, but it's worth a try. At worst you might have to have the rear of the lens machined

down a little to clear. I have also heard of clearance problems between some of the PC

lenses and certain SLRs that have a prism that overhangs the front, not sure which models

(maybe F4 or F?) but I don't have this problem with F2 and F3.

Hi Joe,

The barrel of lenses with serial nos 851001 - 906200 covers two styles of lens - the early type with black metal focus ring and the updated version with the rubber focus grip. They were made before Ai lenses were produced so no allowance was made for fitting Ai cameras - the barrel extends beyond the mount and conflicts with the Ai meter coupling tab.

They will fit Ai cameras where the Ai tab can be flipped up. The FT3, EL2, FM, FE, F3 and F4 have this feature. Of course this has no affect on metering since PC lenses have a manual diaphram and metering is stop-down only. Except for the F3, metering must be done with the lens unshifted else the exposure will be wrong.

Although Nikon warns against it, they fit other cameras with a fixed Ai tab such as FM2. The barrel on the lens is thin enough to fit under the fixed tab without causing damage - the picture shows an early 28/4 PC mounted on an FE2. Care must be taken not to cause damage, or to move the meter coupling tab else metering errors may result. Otherwise the lens barrel can be trimmed back to allow it to fit - similar to Ai converting other lenses. The cost is probably about the same too.

I'm less sure about compatability with camera which don't have the Ai meter coupling tab, such as N80 and D70s. Some have a switch activated by the small EE coupling tab on the aperture ring of AF lenses when set to the smallest aperture (required for program and shutter priority modes). It's possible the longer barrel of early PC lenses may conflict with the switch. I guess you could try mounting the lens *gently* and see what happens. These cameras don't meter with manual lenses anyway so you won't loose anything else. You'll have to guess the exposure or use a separate meter.