Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens but have noticed that some shops sell them

with adverts marked with Apo Ex and some with just Ex infront of

them. I think Ex means'excellent' but not so sure about the apo

malarkey.

Can someone advise me which lens I should get so I don't make a very

expense mistake!

Many thanks,

Kev

I ran into the same inconsistency when shopping on line. I believe there is only one lens, but you might ask if buying over the phone or look at the lens if you are shopping in person. "APO" is clearly marked in gold letters below "70-200mm 1:2.8." The "EX" designation is on the opposite side of the lens.

Great lens!

Sigma have recently upgraded the lens to a DG version, which has extra coatings that are designed to suppress flare that occurs occasionally due to reflections from the hot mirror that protects the camera sensor in a DSLR. I think it is otherwise essentially identical to the non DG version. The other variation is that HSM (fast ultrasonic focus motor) is only available (and standard) in Canon, Nikon and Sigma mount versions. Minolta and Pentax mount don't have the benefit of this.

Many thanks to you all,

Not only have I found out about the terminology but managed to get a Latin lesson in as well. My fault completelt,using latin abbreviations on a photography site is a bit dumb I guess(forgive me being a doctor and all that malarkey). I will proceed with my purchase and hopefully show you the fruits of my new lens in the New Year.

With very best wishes,

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to get the lens after Xmas in the sale but my wife bought it for me as a surprise! It's enormous and very heavy but it takes breathtaking pictures. The build-quality is top-draw, much higher than my equally priced Canon EF-S 10-22mm (no complaints about the images it shoots though).

At f2.8 it's very quick but the images are not sharp at all, at 4.5 they are fantastic.

Thanks for the advice Chaps, if you haven't got one start saving because you won't regret it.

Best wishes and Happy New Year,

Kev

Hi, Kev,

No, the autofocus won't work on Canon equipment and the quality is really terrible.

Now that I've saved your marriage, the truth is that Sigma's dedicated "APO tele-extender" comes in a 1.4x and a 2x model. Autofocus remains fully functional with either model. They work on this lens and I think just one other. You can't mount them on other lenses because they fit deeply into the back of the lens.

You'll find a good description on Sigma's website and also on B&H's.

Go ahead, treat yourself. You deserve it.

Mel

I need a good divorce lawyer and it's all Mel's fault.

I had no idea there was a dedicated converter for the lens and that the autofocus also works with it. It's only ᆪ120 so I think it is destiny that my camera bag gets one. I might check E-bay but perhaps it's best I chat to the guy in the camera shop so I don't get the wrong one. That usually happens to me and my wife goes nuts!

Many thanks Mel, you're a star.

Kev

I need a good divorce lawyer and it's all Mel's fault.

I had no idea there was a dedicated converter for the lens and that the autofocus also works with it. It's only 120 pounds so I think it is destiny that my camera bag gets one. I might check E-bay but perhaps it's best I chat to the guy in the camera shop so I don't get the wrong one. That usually happens to me and my wife goes nuts!

Many thanks Mel, you're a star.

Kev