Canon G3 file names

When downloading my jpg's using Zoombrowser (vers 4.6) my files are

sometimes saved as "203_1234.jpg" and sometimes as "IMG_1234.jpg".

This happens in different folders, never in the same folder. I am not

seeing a pattern though. I must be inadvertenly doing something wrong

but I don't know what. Does this happen to others?

When I was using my s20 I knew that the camera reset to zero following each download using the USB cable.

Just recently I noticed that the numbers are sequential ... two differences, since it doesn't bother me so have not investigated, is that these days I'm using a card reader. The other is that I do not use Zoombrowser but Windows Explorer [works in either W2K or XP] ... so the camera[through zoombrowser] probably has a re-set, whereas Windows Explorer doesn't. the "203-" looks like a folder number like my Panasonic numbers which read nnnxxxx with n being the folder and x the frame/file number.

Hope this two cents helps :-)

Yes, the numbers are sequential, and the numbering does not reset to zero when I change cards. I have that option turned off (or on, which ever setting does that.)

So, when I first had it and downloaded some pics, they'd be named

101_1234.jpg

101_1235.jpg

101_1236.jpg

etc

Now, I am getting files named as follows,

IMG_9579.jpg

IMG_9580.jpg

IMG_9581.jpg

etc

As I said, I don't recall doing anything to cause this.

I checked over my image history and finally noticed something. The change to using "IMG_" as file naming prefix started in 2004. Every file from 2003 and earlier has the "103_" or "107_" prefix as described in the manual.

BTW, the reason I bring this up at all is because I want to go back to the all numbering system.

This morning I tried reading the files from the CF card using a card reader, rather than download from camera using Zoombrowser and the files seem to be names that way by the camera.

I have upgraded new Zoombrowser versions a couple of times since buying the camera. But I checked the contents of the CF card using a card reader, not through Zoombrowser, and it's the camera that assings the names with a "IMG_" prefix. What I can't remember is whether I ever upgraded the camera software. I'll check that.