17-40 Distortion question

agustin.benencia

I used that lens in the past on my ex- 10D and must say I never noticed any severe distortion. The lens was a satisfactory overall peformer, though it was not as good as any of the canon fixed focal lenght lenses I've used. I guess it also depends on print size right?

Johan has it right here: vetical camera shake is the problem for sure, just look at the railings.

I wouldn't often jump to the defence of this lens, but with this example it's only fair that I do. It can produce sharper results than this in the corners of a crop camera. Full frame is another matter...

Agustin, I dont think the pic has a distortion problem (my copy of 17-40 has some distortion between the range 17-20, but no more in longer focal lenghts).

I believe is a falling lines problem (the camera was not parallel to the building while shooting) which caused a crooked picture.

Could someone (Bob?) confirm?

cheers

Alberto

Yes you are right. Not only is this image not taken straight up and down it is also taken on an angle sideways. To properly test for distortion you take a picture of a building like this, or any subject with lots of vertical and horizontal lines on one plane with the camera back parallel to that plane. Brick walls are the typical subject.

Then there is also perspective distortion which you can just start to see in the person standing in the bottom right corner - the person is becoming elongated.