Images will not upload

corrie sweiger

I have not yet uploaded any images, simply because for some reason

the site wont let me. Everytime i try, it takes me to a page that

sais something about there being a problem with photoshop 7 and

jpgs...i do as it sais, but i get nothing. Ive tried saving for web,

nothing. I dont even use photoshop 7, i use cs.

Really confusing, and ive tried everything i can think of. Ive never

had any problems uploading jpgs for anything else.

Here's the page that it gives me when i try to upload...

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo-add-2.tcl

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks, both of you.

I tried saving for web-if someone could tell me exactly how to do it, it may help, as ive never done that before.

The images ive tried uploading are no more than 200k, max...not big at all. I added a picture to a post in a forum, and that worked. It just wont let me add anything to my gallery.

You might want to read this

http://www.photo.net/learn/resize/

.........Photo.net requests that images attached to forum posts be at most 511 pixels wide, and that images uploaded to the image gallery be at most 800 pixels wide. This is done for speed, bandwidth, and ease of display. So what you'd do here is take the image from your digital camera, click on "Image -> Resize -> Image Size" (in PhotoShop Elements II), or "Image -> Image Size" (in PhotoShop 6). Then you check the "resample image" and "constrain proportions" boxes and type in either "511" or "800" in the width box of the Pixel Dimensions section and hit "OK". Your image will now be resized and you can save it, preferably as a JPEG using the "File -< Save for Web" dialog. Ideally images should be under 100Kbytes in size and you can adjust this with the JPEG settings in the "Save for Web" dialog box.....

Corrie,

The problem is the software used on this site. It is unable to handle the "meta data" (Exif data) that Photoshop attaches to a file when you "Save As" in JPEG format. When Photoshop is used to "Save for Web" the resulting JPEG has no additional data attached.

First, if your file is not in sRGB color space, convert it to that color space before "saving for web" (all my images are in Adobe RGB). From the Menus:

Image > Mode > Convert to Profile

Then go to the File Menu and select "Save for Web." There are a number of settings there that are obvious. You want to select JPEG as the file format. Use highest quality setting and give the file a unique name, other than its original name.

After you have saved in that format, when you attempt to exit the "Save for Web" environment, Photoshop will ask you if you want to do another save. Answer NO, otherwise it will overwrite your original file with the changes you have made in preparing for the Save for Web. Then you will be back to your original, but it will have the profile change still applied. Undo that or just close the file.

Rich

Corrie,

You're welcome. I just read your bio. I was once at your point in the "learning curve," but it was 1956! I didn't then have the cameras you have available to you, and there was no Internet, of course.

I'm glad you're learning the art by using film, first. There is no question that digital is both the present and the future of photography, but I am firmly convinced that learning by understanding the process on film and doing actual photographic prints results in a much better understanding of ALL the principles.

Good luck. Photography is a wonderful art and craft. Never stop learning and improving.

Rich

Thanks Rich.

I dont think i'll be able to go digital for quite a while, i love film. I like spending time in my darkroom more than i do at the computer ;)

I still get a high off of thumbing through my negatives, and watch a print come to life in the tray(and it could just be the chemicals that get me high...haa)

I know someday i MAY have to go digital just to stay in business, but not until they discontinue film! (and pry my film camera from my dead lifeless fingers...)

No, im kidding. Digital isnt all bad. Already i do scan my negs and remove all the 'fuzzies' i photoshop. I have to admit that photoshop is fun, a LOT of fun...

For me though, digital wont happen for quite a while. Im happy where i am.

Thanks again, and no, i wont quit learning, its the best part;)

Corrie