Anyone replaced the light source on their Scan Elite 5400 (mk I)

Mendel, if things are just declining, instead of wavering, maybe you're just dealing with dust or some other kind of accumulation on the light or lens. I think I need to be more careful with my poorly-fitted dust cover.

I'll bet Erik in the Netherlands has the answer. His link is somewhere on my recent "sharpness" threads.

This is a serious question. I just bought a 5400 from Amazon, they are in the process of shipping. After the order was placed, I read on the Yahoo Minolta Multi Pro forum that Minolta has has some very serious losses this year and may be getting out of the scanner business altogether, not to mention the blow this delivers to those thinking the Multi Pro would be replaced.

So, those with Minolta scanners that used the fluorescent light sources should beware and check out where and how to replace the luminares. I think I recall a post during the past few months where a guy illustrated a step by step procedure for tearing down the 5400 (without damaging anything)...seems he decided to clean his own CCD of cat hair and also had a gearing problem. If you do decide to open it up and clean, there is a company that makes patented brushes and cleaners just for CCD's that I discovered last night. Contact Visibledust.com Sorry, I can't help now with the light, but I plan to get replacements somehow when my machine arrives and will post if now one else does.

Mendel,

Well I have been using the Minolta DSE 5400 (original model) for over a year. I'm sorry to

hear that Minolta has had losses and may get out of the scanner business. I just

purchased a two year extended warranty from them on the DSE 5400, so it would be a loss

to me. It took me two of the original DSE 5400's to get one that worked well, but this

sample has been chugging along for over a year. It gets sporadic heavy use. I love it,

especially what it can do for an Astia slide at 5400 dpi! I profile the scanner regularly

using IT8 targets and really like the results I'm getting - still shooting film in an F100.

I would like to pursue this topic, but have no idea where to look for spare bulbs. I still

have a lot of scanning to do, including 50-year old Kodachromes from my father, so I

hope the high end 35 mm scanner market is not dieing. If you gain any additional

information, please email me.

David, I got my 5400 just over a year ago. I believe it had been available for a at least 6 months prior. Since no early-adapter owners have posted, perhaps that's a good sign. Mine has also seen sporadic heavy use, though with little outcome: I'm close to fed-up with it's depth of focus, or lack thereof. I do agree, the tone quality is excellent, but for me the achilles heel is my ongoing struggle with focus.

John, Erik from Scanhancer would likely know something on the subject. If he doesn't notice this thread and comment, I'll likely email him.

STOP IT!

Minolta has NOT announced that they have had loses that will put them out of the scanner business.

EVERYONE is worried about their future in digital as competition is fierce and sales are unpredictable. Fuji and HP are abandoning markets; Olympus and Konica are laying off. Polaroid and Ilford went bankrupt. ALL these companies are still with us in one form or another, photographically.

(a) We've got ours. NOTHING I have now NEEDS the company after I buy it.

(b) Replacements are cheap. The KMDSE5400II is less expensive than the original KMDSE5400, so if the bulb EVER dies (why worry?), buy a newer replacement SCANNER, not a replacement bulb! In the process, you'll get newer, faster, scanner, and it sleeps after 20 minutes of latency -- COOL!

© Minolta my just surprise everyone and, like Apple, stay an underdog AND stay profitable, digital imaging wise, forever (as it was the Konica FILM that division that declined -- BIG surprise, eh?).

(d) ... You all can think of more, I'm sure. Don't let me be the ONLY ray of sunshine here!

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

Earlier in this thread: "...Uh, if the bulb burns out chuck the scanner and get a new and improved mark II? Ok..."

Peter Blaise responds: All I meant was DON'T WORRY. Sure, replace the bulb IF it's available at a reasonable price and turn around time for YOU -- IF YOU **EVER** NEED IT.

No one has yet commented on NEEDING a replacement bulb yet, so I think it may NOT be the main concern if we are to base our concerns on REALITY! =8^o

Now, suppose I had the original Minolta DiMage Scan Speed and it's bulb burned out, or other failure that made it inoperable ... would I service it, or replace the entire scanner with a newer one? Think a bit -- it's an old SCSI-only 10-bit 2,800ppi.

I've found that I WANT something working RIGHT NOW, so I end up buying a replacement while the dead unit is in for service anyway, so why worry? I end up with two units, one old and fixed, and one new, and I end up never using the older fixed one after a while! So why did I bother?

I'm suggesting to not WORRY.

I'm NOT suggesting that everyone all the time never service anything, only buy entirely new replacement units all the time instead. If that's affordable in time and money, fine, if not, then wait for service!

IF you EVER need service!

You may go for 20 years and never need service -- and I'll bet that ol' scanner won't be your main scanner by then anyway!

But, in the meantime, don't WORRY!

WORRY never did anybody any good.

Put the energy into photography, and enjoy it! ;-)

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

Mendel,

Finally I chime in. Didn't think that I had to say much on the subject, but little is better

than nothing, isn't it?

My experience with the Multi Pro (not the 5400, sorry) is that the fluorecent tube is very

easy to replace by oneself. Not that there was any need for mine yet, but as I like to open

everything up I checked out of curiosity. The tube has an expected lifespan of some 5000

hours. I ordered a spare one out of precaution, because I am planning to use my scanner

for a long time into the future. The tube plus its top cover (including reflector and wiring)

cost me under 30 US dollars. It is just a matter of taking out the screws of the old top and

replace it with the new one, connect the wires, put the screws back and you're ready. Have

a look at the Scanhancer LEK manual in case you want to see how the light unit looks

inside:

http://www.scanhancer.com/uploads/downloads/scanhancer_lek_manual.pdf.zip

I have to add that I am using a separate power supply in order to boost the tube somewhat

extra (and thus limit scantimes when using a Scanhancer 5LE). According to a ballast

scientist I had looking at it there would be no significant loss of tube life due to the extra

voltage. The power supply is very stable (better than Minolta's built in) and since it is

located outside the scanner I have less trouble with interference. The inner power supply is

still driving the stepper motor, so I have shielded it with thick aluminium black wrap. No

more disturbance of the CRT's in my office.

Hope this helps.

PS: have a look at my single glass film holder. It might inspire you for your search for

flatter film holding:

http://www.scanhancer.com/index.php?art=41&men=3

Hi, Erik. Thanks for the tips. I've opened my 5400, and seen the light source (pun?). Looked fairly accessable, that wasn't really my interest so I didn't pay attention. It's a thin tube, about 1 1/2" long, in a recess.

I think before I would order, I should take another look and verify what's in there, and how it's held. With the 5000 hours you mentioned, but for another Minolta scanner, sounds like mine might have some life yet. Like you, I'm thinking to get a replacement bulb for insurance. Likely will not get used, but...

Any suggestions for replacement bulb source?

• 3 weeks later...