Weston Type V as reflective meter

kryn_sporry1

Yes I've used them for years and own three. They are selenium cell meters that react by

the amount of light generating a tiny electrical current. Just check it out against a good

camera with a built-in meter or a modern battery-powered meter and if it is within a half-

stop it should be fine.

The Weston V meter has a very good cell and a wide reading range, much better than the

earlier models. Besides, you can lock the needle while taking a reading by pushing down

the button on top and then releasing it while holding the meter on the subject. (It won't

work at all if you don't push the button.)

Remember, it is a "wide area" general light meter, but you can always take a substitute

reading off of a small handheld 18% gray card or off normal, white skin. White skin

readings should be placed opposite the little red block marked 2Xc to the right of the

pointer on the meter calculation wheel. This compensates one stop for the skin color. Real

dark skin readings should be placed opposite the 1/2a block to the left of the pointer to

compensate for the darker shade.

Those little red blocks around the dial are used in connection wth the Zone System, but

the two that I mentioned are the ones you most likely will need unless applying the Zone

calculations.

It's a good meter for overall average readings and can also be used in cases where you can

walk up to the subject and read the deepest shadow area where you want detail and the

brightest highlight where you want detaill and then use the dial markings to work out the

correct compromise exposure on B&W or on color film.

I have and still use a Weston Master V that was given to me as a high school graduation gift in 1965. I keep it in the case with my Rollei 2.8F. I also have the Invercone. I dropped mine a few years ago and sent it to Hollywood Light and Metric for repair. They replaced the spring and calibrated it. BTW, it matches the built-in meter in my Rollei almost exactly. Great meter.

Sounds like it is pretty decent... So if I understand correctly, it meters like a "centre weight average" reflective meter normally, and as incident meter with the dome fitted. Is there a factor to consider when using it differently, or can I just use a setting that will allow it to be used as incident or refelctive metering?

Sorry for all teh questions. I'm just trying to make up my mind if I should get one on ebay, or if I should go for a more modern Sekonic L-558 (which is indeed something totally different).

The more flexibility the better. I'd like to use it mainly as reflective and incident, but spot metering would be nice as an option... (I understand this is out of the question with the weston). Considering it is going for 60+ GBP in england on ebay, I wonder if instead I should get either an L358, with the option of getting a 1 degree spot meter adapter later for it, or an L558...

I use a Weston V. It's fine to use as a reflected meter so long as you understand metering, i.e. where to point the meter for a given situation, <i>which I am sure you do</i>. Without that knowledge even digital spotmeter can be next to useless.<p>

Having said that, I prefer to use a Sekonic digital meter for convenience. The Master V is a very nicely made meter though.

Kryn, It is really an "Averaging" meter. It gives equal weight to the whole area; no central weighting whatsoever.

I have used Westons for the past 40 years mainly in Incident mode with the Invercone. I highly recommend these meters...deadly accurate when used in conjunction with the meter between your ears. (as ALL exposure meters require). My favourite is the Euromaster, which I purchased new in the 1970's.