Canon G6 alternative?

If f/2 is crucial, I can't help you, but otherwise you could consider the Olympus C-5060 or C-7070 (both imminently to be discontinued but still in the shops). They both have 27-110mm equivalent lens, tilt/swivel LCD, hot shoe plus umpteen other features.

Having used a G5, I know there are things about that series that are a pain in the rear to deal with. What exactly is it you don't care for with the G6? With the G5 I used, it was sorry indoor AF performance when zoomed off the widest angle of view- as long as I kept it at the widest angle it was OK, but start zooming towards the tele end and it simply would get to a point where it would not focus indoors at distances beyond 3-5 feet. Also, while the G- series does have a hot shoe, it does not allow for all the flash functions to be available like you have when the same unit is mounted to a Canon DSLR, and, to put it nice, let's just say the lag time between when you press the release and the picture is taken is somewhat slow.

Those were my main gripes with the series. However, there are very few, if any, digicams that can match things like having both a hotshoe AND lens speed of f2 at the wide and and f3 at the tele end. From what I have seen you are probably asking for more than what is available today in this type camera.

• 4 weeks later...
I currently own the G6 and find that it is a good DCAM. I feel the use is more like a convenient range finder with some interesting features. I like the sharpness and control but some menu features are not to my liking. Overall satisfied with the sharpness of the pictures and most impressed with the battery life. Overall the only complain I would mention is the flimsy len mount that is made of plastic. It is used to remove the cover and attach any 2x or .5 lens attachment but it does not mount securely and kinda wobbles either way.