Sand bags/weights for light stands

Anybody have a favorite brand of sand bag, or another type of weight

they use on their light stands? Maybe it doesn't matter, but they

offer a few different brands at B&H, so I figured I'd ask.

Also, for each stand, how many legs do you guys typically put

sandbags on? It's probably worth noting that from time to time I

will be doing child portraits for children of various ages. I was

thinking one sand bag per stand would be sufficient, but I'd rather

spend an extra few bucks on a sand bag than have to replace a strobe

head and/or hurt someone's child.

Thanks,

Kirk

'I was thinking one sand bag per stand would be sufficient, but I'd rather spend an extra few bucks on a sand bag than have to replace a strobe head and/or hurt someone's child.'..........................................You got it, for some reason the same sandbags you buy elsewhere cost more at a photo retail outlet, safety first, tripping over cords and pulling the stand down is easier than somebody knocking over the stand itself.

Happy Holidays

www.imageandartifact.bz

One sandbag is adequate as long as the stand isn't fully extended, and the head on top is not too heavy.. Booms with reflectors, mikes, softboxes etc.. also change the equation.

Besides sandbags, you should make sure to use gaffer's tape to tape tape down cords and also tape the stands down to the floor -- this also cuts down on the risk of someone tripping on the cord and falling into a stand, or pulling a stand down.

Kirk,

Wall-Mart is my favorite brand. For booms and stands/tripods where the weight can be hung, I use a Wal-Mart windshield washer fluid container (I think they're 1 gal.) and add water for the desired weight. I hang it with a stiff bungee cord or heavy cordage with a hook on either end. These jugs are quite heavy duty and I don't worry about them breaking or leaking. Besides being cheap, I don't have to cart the weight around in between. Of course, this won't work if your concerned about appearance...

Rob

Possible alternative: A large pair of athletic socks, filled with dry pinto beans and tied with cord. For travel, dump those beans in a container to be re-used, and buy more beans when you arrive on location. (I'm congenitally adverse to using any liquid around electricity!)

• 4 months later...

I thought I'd post a follow-up because I just discovered a cheap alternative that would still have a professional look to it.

I'm still doing some experimenting, but I'm going to try out some 10 lb weight-lifter ankle weights I bought from Walmart. About $20 for the pair. My only concern is that 10 pounds per leg may not be enough. I'm sure if I was using my lights on location on a windy day 10 lbs per leg definitely wouldn't cut it, but I really don't take my lights on location so I'm thinking this might work out pretty well.

Kirk:

Something that I've used on location are bungee cords and tent stakes. Three sets, spaced evenly around the light stand.

If the ground isn't mush, they do a great job supporting a monolight on a 13' light stand. Don't even think about using a large light modifier, though. It will catch the wind.

Eric

• 4 years later...
<p>I have a different suggestion.<br />Cost $2.00 for each light stand. I used a s clip, U bolt and a bottle of water. To<br />protect our bulbs I used a rubber part found at the hardware store in the plumbing<br />section cost $8.69 each.<br />To see go to<br />photo works temecula. com/Light_stand_weight. htm (remove spaces)</p><div>00Xa4Z-295767584.jpg.065281d4c3c9899ac47e8341b553498e.jpg</div>