Gila National Park

klsphoto

Karen,

Gila National Forest is an amazing place. The Gila Wilderness area is one of the most prisine forests in the lower 48. If you go North on 180 from Silver City to 59 and head East, you will skirt the northern edge of the Wilderness. This road passes through the little town of Mogollon. All along this road there are trailheads that go into the wilderness. It's a very beautiful area. If you have a day to spend hiking and are a strong hiker you might consider taking a day hike to Redstone Park, in the wilderness. It is a surreal place at times. I don't know what it is like this time of year, though. Farther to the North is Quemado Lake, which, while a manmade lake, is also a very peaceful place. There are some great photographic opportunities at the lake. I think that anywhere you go in the Gila National Forest will be a pleasant surprise to you. Enjoy yourself and don't worry too much about missing something there. The whole area is special. You can see a few photos that I have taken at Quemado Lake in my Single Photos folder in my portfolio here on photo.net. Have a great trip.