bill a.

Looking for just that. I know I could put some wrapped lenses in a

knapsack, but I also like compartments i.e. being able to reach into

the bag and expect a lens to be in specific spot. Any recommendations

on an over-the-shoulder bad that could handle a body or two, a flash,

and a couple of primes, either a commercial bag that doesn't look

like a commercial bag, or some other bag that you have adapted

somehow (maybe with a Domke insert)?

To really get into street photography, try this: Wear old, beat-up clothes.

Wrap your lenses in an old blanket. Put this inside a large, black

garbage bag. Put this in a shopping cart. Push it around while taking

pics and extract lenses when needed. Nobody will pay any attention to you. Not exactly a Hermes Edition bag, but ...

second Crumpler. I bought one for that reason, and used it a lot with a small kit, until my gear outgrew it. my only complaint is that they're very heavily padded - a bag with a reasonable outside dimension isn't all that big inside, so go bigger than you might guess. on the plus side your stuff will be very well protected.

domke satchels aren't bad, but aren't too perfect either - too deep and not enough thickness.

i use a domke f3x. i placed thin pads from my old camera bags where needed. very minimal. my D70 with the kit lens sits in the middle on top of my cased SB-600. in one inside pocket is my 70-210mm, wrapped. in the other, my Bessa R with a 35mm f1.7 attached. if you don't carry film, it will hold another lens, another digital body or a digital p & s for backup. and a lot of room for small accessories...........i also took out the domke label/logo to make the bag very plain and ordinary..... of course professional thieves will still know what you are carrying no matter what you do to be inconspicuous. but being plain and ordinary is a big help............

I have carried my camera gear in a LowePro Off Road belt pack nestled inside the large compartment of a regular day pack quite inconspicuously during my travels. Most of my equipment is easily accessible without taking the belt pack out of the day pack simply by unzipping the large back pack compartment across the top and reaching in. Very often I just carry the day pack casually slung over one shoulder which is comfortable for me and looks quite natural.

In areas where I don't feel keeping a low profile is necessary, I take the Off Road out of the day pack and wear it around my waist in the normal fashion.

I have a few Domke black canvas over the shoulder bags just for the reason you mention, they don't look like squared off always puffed out photo bags, esp when used without the internal dividers. The canvas ages by fading similar to jeans and doesn't have that nylon photobag look. The other thing I find is that adding the padding to keep everything in its place makes the bag look more like photo bag to me but you'll have to weigh the compromises to see if it suits you. I use Lowepro padded cases for my lenses.

Crumpler also makes over the shoulder camera bags which have a unique look. Once worn in and not stuffed to the gills with stuff, they look trendy but not techy. YMMV

You might also look at over the shoulder bike messenger bags.

What Norm Carr said. I sometimes use Domke inserts in a Crumpler 'Weenie' bag.

Bear in mind that some of the 'discreet' camera satchels look very similar to laptop computer bags. I suspect many thieves would rather bag a laptop than cameras that could turn out to have little value.

Dream on fellas, the real thieves know all the tricks. They are not looking at bags, they are looking at your over all look and demeanor. They see a soft target, they go for it. Better than a fake-funky camera bag, shave your head and get a couple of tatoos on your dome, nobody will mess with you.

<i>Dream on fellas, the real thieves know all the tricks.</i>

<br><br>

Absolutely, but not all the unreal theives do and in the meantime a messenger bag makes a more comfortable and useful way to carry your stuff than most supposedly purpose made camera bags do.

Using a bag that doesn't look like a photo bag can go a bit deeper than trying to fool

professional thieves hanging around city centres. Probably yes, you may run into professional

thieves in tourist areas know what to look for. If the purpose is to avoid theft buy camera

insurance and be done with it and use any bag you want to.

For those who go off the beaten track there are plenty of reasons for being discreet even with

camera insurance. For me, it's about moving around more easily and blending in with my

surroundings a bit better.

I found a cheap canvas shoulder satchel for two bucks at a thrift shop last month. It makes the original Domke look conspicuous by comparison.

I think it originally came from one of those mid-scale trendy places like Old Navy, the Gap, etc. It's sort of like an old style bookbag, which some folks might prefer to the ubiquitous backpack.

Pros: Lots of pockets, lots of room in the main compartment. Some grippy stuff on the inside of the strap at the top of the loop to help keep it from sliding off. I wear it across the body because the strap is long enough that it places the bag at the right level for easy access.

Cons: Zero padding. About the thickness and texture of blue jeans.

So far I've used it for carrying: extras like flash units, batteries, flash bracket, Quantum battery, etc., for a wedding shoot (it was one of three bags); a single camera with lens attached in the main compartment with other stuff distributed among the various pockets to provide a little protection.

A gym bag would work about the same way. You might want to improvise some padding tho'.

The diaper bag could work but then you'd need a stroller, in which case you could just put all of your gear in the stroller, wrap it all up in a blankie, and relieve your shoulders and back of some strain.

Closed-cell sleeping bag pads (from your local hiking store -- EMS and REI here in the States) cut to size make great padding material.

I have a year-old daughter, so the diaper bag is not out of the realm of possibilities.

"Hon, can I take our daughter for an hour or two? I need camouflage..."

:-)